Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cliverlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2022
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a MacPro 4.1 that had been firmware updated to 5.1. I have successfully installed the DOsDude1 patched MacOs Catalina and had been running Catalina for about a year. I was successfully running a RX580 graphics card. I am a Windows user and wanted to to migrate my Windows app to this venerable MAC machine.

I had successfully installed Windows 10 under personal-use VMWare workstation on the MP. I decided to try to install and dual boot Windows 10. I failed with the Windows install. After trying to install Windows 10, now when I boot the Mac Pro, after quite a wait the screen shows the Apple logo then the horizontal line from left to right. This never happened when I was successfully running the patched Catalina. Then the DOSDUDe macOS utilities launch. I try to perform a disk repair on the MP but that fails because "unable to unmount volume for repair (-69673)". I try to install the Post-install patches for either MacPro5,1 (automatically selected by DosDude MacOS utilities) or patches MacPro(4,1) and in both cases I get "An error occurred while applying patches (1)."

I am prepared to reinstall the DOSDude1 patcher to get Catalina running again but the install process requires the Mac to have a running MacOS - which I don't currently have. I have looked at Mac documentation, installed an old non-Metal card that came with the MacPro and tried to run MACOS recovery (OPTION_CMD_R) into a blank SSD - but MACOS Recovery doesn't load - the machine always loads DOSDude MACOS utilities.

I "sense" the Catalina system is still "there" on the SSD and a few clever commands will allow it to reboot.

Any suggestions to get the DosDude1 Catalina running again on the MACPro5.1 ?

Thanks.

** Additional info **

I'm trying to find ways to reinstall or boot the MacPro into any operating system.

The DosDude MacOS Utilities has an options to select a startup (Boot?) device. I created a Linux bootable (a.k.a "Live") USB using the Mint distribution, size 2GB. I successfully booted an old HP i5 gen 3 laptop from the Linux USB drive. When I plug the USB stick into the front of the MacPro the USB isn't recognised as a bootable device.

Last edited:

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Try install windows on your new designated partition that I assume you already partitioned on the hard drive. After you get windows installed then try to boot as a dual boot setup, If you Catalina OS isn't missing I assume it will show up during login.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.