Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlbatrossProX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2015
So I have a 2014 MBP retina that has held up great for almost 10 years now. Over the past few years the display has started doing something where it goes dark except for the presence of the backlight (producing a very dark gray screen that is barely distinguishable from total black when the machine is powered off). I’m pretty sure this is due to a faulty or loose connection from the display to the gpu, because sometimes I actually see the image on screen flicker before going out. The bizarre part though is that when I shut down and then restart, the image just comes back (or it used to)… leading me to wonder how just waiting a couple minutes could magically fix a faulty connection.

Anyway, now this problem is occurring more and more often. And frequently I have to wait a while before I can get the display to show the white apple logo letting me know that the image is in fact working. Sometimes I have to force shutdown by holding the power button and then restart 5-10 times before I get a working image. So basically I’m thinking, is there any viable way to fix this myself? I’m assuming that getting any professional support on this would be money wasted. I mean keep in mind I can’t even update lots of software anymore because the OSX is too old. If I could buy a special screwdriver, find the display cable, and plug it in better then I would just do that since like I said this machine works great in every other way. But I’m thinking I might be best advised to take advantage of the modest but still decent cyber Monday stuff that happens to be offered this time of year on apple products. Maybe I can save a couple hundo.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.