Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larryleveen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I like and use Dark Mode in general. I also use Mac Mail's Dark Mode for message panels as well. Occasionally, though, there is a bug that displays -- some text in emails comes through as dark on a dark background. Not all text is affected this way and not all emails are affected this way. My workaround is to select the offending text which causes it to change how it is displayed so it becomes visible. Anyone got ideas on how to fix this permanently while maintaining Dark Mode in Mail and in general on my Macbook Air 2015 running Monterey 12.4? Thanks.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
That's not necessarily a bug. Emails with no dedicated background color set show up as "transparent" in Apple's mail, and of course when it's in dark mode we have the problem you're experiencing. It's actually doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing, it's just that it's not the desired result.

I suppose Apple could somehow make Mail recognize emails with no background and place a white color behind the email when in dark mode, but I suspect this would be difficult and not likely to happen.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I have this problem every now and again. Unfortunately, I can't find the emails which had caused the problem.

For me, Apple properly adjusts the background color to dark, as dark mode should. It's the fonts it fails to adjust. It has to make them a light color to be seen against a dark background. The font only appears in a light color when the text area is selected.

Reactions: larryleveen

larryleveen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
That's not necessarily a bug. Emails with no dedicated background color set show up as "transparent" in Apple's mail, and of course when it's in dark mode we have the problem you're experiencing. It's actually doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing, it's just that it's not the desired result.

I suppose Apple could somehow make Mail recognize emails with no background and place a white color behind the email when in dark mode, but I suspect this would be difficult and not likely to happen.
I don't think that's quite the case here as some paragraphs in some emails have dark text on a dark background. As in, mid-email it can change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.