Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hog Milanese

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Austin
I don't know if you've ever noticed, but the dark mode dock in Yosemite has a 1 or 2 px thick border around the edge. On lighter wallpaper backgrounds, it looks odd.

Is that still in place in El Capitan?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I don't like the Dark Mode Dock that much, but I use it for the sake of the dark menu bar. It's more gray than black and, like you pointed out, has that outline.

Reactions: AngerDanger

Naio

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2015
If you feel comfortable, you could modify it to get rid of the black outline:

The files should be in: System/Library/CoreServices/Dock/Contents/Resources

I haven't tried myself it, but I think it's the following two files in the location above:

Code:
dockbackgrounddark.png
dockbackgrounddark@2x.png

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
I am borrowing this thread a little. Is it possible to turn on the dark mode for the dock only? Without also turning the top menu dark too?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Not to hijack this thread, but did they make the volume, display brightness, and keyboard backlighting HUDs dark for dark mode in this release, or have they been like this?

Image: http://i.imgur.com/8Hsieya.png

It definitely looks different. In Yosemite they just use white or black for the symbols and text that lie on top of translucent components, but your picture shows that they replaced that colour with a vibrancy effect. You can see it all over iOS 8 as well, such as Control Centre and of course in the new Music app too. It looks nicer, in my opinion.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA

Attachments

• dock.zip
    28.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Screen Shot.png
    Screen Shot.png
    196.5 KB · Views: 306

Jess13

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
Here you go, compiled and ready to be dropped in plugins folder.

Thank You. But one question: What plugins folder? I only found one, in Library>Plug-ins. It only has FCPX FxFactory file inside, nothing about dock. I am unsure what folder you were referring?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.