Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Hi all,

I have an iPhone XS and I tried Dark Mode to conserve battery usage. What seems to bother me a bit that in daylight, I can see the text and screen but in Dark Mode I can see my fingerprints and smudges on the screen which then effects the quality of viewing my display in sunlight.

My question is, does Dark Mode really improve the battery life or is it not that worth having it?

I

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi all,

I have an iPhone XS and I tried Dark Mode to conserve battery usage. What seems to bother me a bit that in daylight, I can see the text and screen but in Dark Mode I can see my fingerprints and smudges on the screen which then effects the quality of viewing my display in sunlight.

My question is, does Dark Mode really improve the battery life or is it not that worth having it?

I
Personally (I have no proof), I think it's something that sounds plausible, but if actually measured you'd find a negligible difference. I use it (have used it via jailbreaking since iOS 6) because I like it, not because of battery savings. I plug my phone in each night and don't use it like a computer during the day so battery savings are not high on my list.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
In theory - yes, but in practicality your battery life will vary much more with your carrier signal strength, an extra video or music that you play or whether it was in a hot car for a few minutes or not etc.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
It wasn't implemented to prolong battery life, it exists for the Eye Candy Effect.
If the screen is used in direct sunlight with sunlight shining on the screen, don't use Dark Mode. The screen and thus the phone will get way too hot with sunlight beaming on a black screen.

DieselFiend1989

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2019
If the screen is used in direct sunlight with sunlight shining on the screen, don't use Dark Mode. The screen and thus the phone will get way too hot with sunlight beaming on a black screen.

Now, I’ve been wrong before(just ask my wife). I am just not sure thats how that works..

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Dark mode improving battery life is kinda true for OLED but only noticeable in max brightness at best, assuming you use your device in an extremely consistent manner. And personally I prefer its utility of helping reducing eye strain at dark environments. I never notice any sort of battery improvements by using dark mode.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
The difference is huge! From DisplayMate “An additional bonus is that switching to a Black Background will in most cases significantly reduce the battery power used by the OLED display. For example, for the Calendar application, at the Maximum Brightness setting, switching to the Dark Mode from the Light Mode reduces the Display Power from 4.2 watts down to 0.2 watts, which will significantly increase the Running Time on Battery.”

Reactions: shakopeemn

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
It depends on the nature of the dark mode. Meaning that there are different types of dark mode. Some apps simply darken the components of their app to a really dark grey or nearly a black color. In order for Dark mode to truly save battery life it would need to be OLED Dark, meaning pure black. If its pure black then no light is used to power the black parts of the screen, which does in fact save battery.

An example would be the sample black wallpaper that apple gives in the stock wallpapers. Its true black so if using that it would save battery as no power is needed to light up the black on the screen.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
I leave it on auto and it's the best of both worlds. The only thing I don't like about dark mode is that it's so depressing to look at all day if I left it on. I like a little brightness and colors most of the time.

Reactions: Jetcat3

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Hi all,

I
Hmmmm I love dark mode but only at night. I usually like the regular mode during the day.

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
The battery saving effect is only really noticeable at really high brightness.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I usually have dark mode on all the time. I do switch when it’s really bright outside as it’s harder to see. In regular use I don’t know how much battery it saves.

but there’s a reason why the Apple Watch always has a dark ui always, battery life savings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.