Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RickyHunter

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2017
Spain
Hi Folks.
I'm wondering if that's possible to have the Dark mode on my cMP2009.
Yesterday I've upgraded the firmware to th 5.1 and then I've installed High Sierra without using any patcher tool (btw thanks @dosdude1).
At the moment if I go to the System Settings-> Monitor there is no Night Shift tab.
Anyone has suggestions?

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2007
Birmingham, AL & Atlanta, GA
Dark Mode and Night Shift are different things. Night Shift adjusts the color temperature of the display to warmer (by default) in the evenings and cooler during the day. Dark Mode changes much of the interface to black elements and backgrounds. Dark Mode is set in System Prefs > General > Appearance.

Re-reading your post...if you've stopped at macOS 10.13 High Sierra, you won't have Dark Mode as an option. That comes with 10.14 Mojave.

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2007
Birmingham, AL & Atlanta, GA
Thanks a lot @fhturner!
Is it possible to activate Night Shift on a cMP2009?

Unfortunately, no. Check the system requirements near the bottom of this page:

System requirements for Night Shift
Night Shift requires macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and one of these Mac computers, using the built-in display or the displays listed:
  • Apple LED Cinema Display
  • Apple Thunderbolt Display
  • LG UltraFine 5K Display
  • LG UltraFine 4K Display

RickyHunter

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2017
Spain
I’ve seen that list. But I’ve also seen posts of ppl succeeding in having night shift working with no supported hardware, that’s why I’m asking

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks a lot!
Do you know if it's going to work on a cMP? (it doesn't have any light sensors, so if the Night Shift is relaying on them to make changes, then...)

Depends on your hardware (e.g. monitor). There is no guarantee can work.

Night Shift depends on your location, not light sensor.

Reactions: RickyHunter

RickyHunter

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2017
Spain
Depends on your hardware (e.g. monitor). There is no guarantee can work.

Night Shift depends on your location, not light sensor.
ok thanks. As soon as I solve my other issue (posted right now), I'm going also to try the nightshift unlocker.
Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.