Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happypappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Philadelphia
I always use dark mode. I just installed Sonoma and when everything booted up, all my apps are showing in dark mode, but the mac's main system menu bar is still white. I have toggled on light mode and dark mode, restarted the mac and nothing has helped.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 4.49.12 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 4.49.12 PM.png
    120.2 KB · Views: 314

happypappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Philadelphia
The menu bar is based off the wallpaper color and not so much the mode. Is the wallpaper underneath a lighter color?
Yes, that seems to be the case. Sonoma installs with the 'Sonoma Horizon' wallpaper, which has white clouds at the top of the image. This cause the system menu to change to a light mode appearance to accommodate for the light colored sky.

After changing the wallpaper with other darker ones, it does appear to be working as expected.

chriswhv6

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
Noticed the same thing also and had to switch back to my old desktop background to get the top menu bar to stay black in colour.

Ive always had Dark mode on though and now since doing the new iOS update its still left on dark mode but all my Apple Apps have revert back to white/light mode.
Toggling between Light & Dark mode now only changed the menu dock at the bottom :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.