Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Not really sure if multiple discussions about the same thing at about the same time with more or less the same type of things being brought up really does much (aside from repetition essentially).
What it does is helps people release their flushtration with Apple which is really what these forums are all about. We can’t change Apples decisions but clearly more people want this feature.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What it does is helps people release their flushtration with Apple which is really what these forums are all about. We can’t change Apples decisions but clearly more people want this feature.
Not sure how that changes between having a discussion about it in one place and repeating the same things with more or less the same people in another place more or less at the same time.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Not sure how that changes between having a discussion about it in one place and repeating the same things with more or less the same people in another place more or less at the same time.
Well people never check to see...if what there about to post...has already been posted. People also feel if they say it enough more people will agree. So it’s easy to see multiple posts about the same idea. I don’t agree with it but it happens a lot on this forum...but you knew that already right?

Edit: so I quickly glanced down this whole 1st page of this section on iOS 12 and only found 2 threads on dark mode. That’s pretty fair game and not unusual.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well people never check to see...if what there about to post...has already been posted. People also feel if they say it enough more people will agree. So it’s easy to see multiple posts about the same idea. I don’t agree with it but it happens a lot on this forum...but you knew that already right?

Edit: so I quickly glanced down this whole 1st page of this section on iOS 12 and only found 2 threads on dark mode. That’s pretty fair game and not unusual.
There are at least two other ones about it that at the time were essentially on the first page of the forum as well. Ultimately it's all mostly down to the first sentence of your post.

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
Well, at lest we can hope it shows up in the 12.3 version(like night shift had done)

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
It isn’t the same thing, but Firefox for iOS has a “night mode” that you can enable, and it smartly makes all websites dark and more readable. Macrumors looks great when browsing with it enabled. :)

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
No. Maybe in 2019 WWDC 2019. My opinion, as long as smart invert exist, I don’t see Apple venturing with dark mode.

Smart invert is no replacement for a true dark mode.

And with the introduction of a dark mode in MacOS, an iOS version can’t be too far behind. Whether it’s later this year (unlikely) or next, or even a little after that, it’s coming.

Reactions: Bawstun and MrGuder

Acanfield28

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2018
This is just my theory, but I always suggest to send Apple feedback on what the users want to see, that doesn’t mean they will grant the request, but Apple does listen to their customer base with certain things. I think that’s the best way to express yourself, because they likely will never know that you created a thread on this subject.

Just stopped working tech support for Apple very recently and I can tell you this is not true. They tell their employees to tell you that if you call support to make you feel heard. But those suggestions mean nothing. Apple feels that the “average consumer” has no idea what is good for their tech and the senior advisors are trained to tell you to submit feedback to developers on things that you want just so they can get off the call with you. After all, they’re only supposed to talk to you for 16 minutes or they start to get back rankings and risk losing their job. A lot of shady stuff behind the scenes people.

Reactions: Altis

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Smart invert is no replacement for a true dark mode.

And with the introduction of a dark mode in MacOS, an iOS version can’t be too far behind. Whether it’s later this year (unlikely) or next, or even a little after that, it’s coming.

You’re right, it’s not. I was implying that smart invert hopefully isn’t a gate way to believing dark mode will never exist. Regarding what Apple will and will not due, they are competitively unpredictable. Generally, sometimes they give little hints of what we might see, but over the years that’s been proven time and time again that dark mode has not happened. So it’s difficult to say in my opinion.
[doublepost=1529165013][/doublepost]
Just stopped working tech support for Apple very recently and I can tell you this is not true. They tell their employees to tell you that if you call support to make you feel heard. But those suggestions mean nothing. Apple feels that the “average consumer” has no idea what is good for their tech and the senior advisors are trained to tell you to submit feedback to developers on things that you want just so they can get off the call with you. After all, they’re only supposed to talk to you for 16 minutes or they start to get back rankings and risk losing their job. A lot of shady stuff behind the scenes people.

This is all very interesting information. Thank you for sharing this. And it all seems very believable, because I can’t see Apple believing that the average consumer doesn’t understand their mind set what’s best for implementation of software and technology.

Reactions: Acanfield28

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
Whenever I activate dark mode in browsers (PC - all browsers, and also Firefox for iOS) some sites can't display certain contents, even though different pages fully accept this feature. A few pages don't accept this kind of setting, meaning that we need to include them in a list to not use it. Otherwise the text or some images won't be viewed properly.

Is this a limitation from dark mode or the fault lies with the webmaster from these sites?

Other than that I also want to see dark mode everywhere, for the reasons stated in this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...t-night-black-background-for-reading.2051591/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.