Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Based on some YouTube video's I've seen, it looks like Apple's dark mode is a consistent "true black" across devices. I'll admit, I never thought they'd use actual black, but that they'd try to be consistent with Mojave and use a dark grey.

I like true black on my iPhone XS, but I'm concerned about the appearance on LED displays. Does Apple still use true black on those as well? If so, do you think that looks good on older iPhones or the new iPad Pros?

I have a 10.5 iPad Pro and I never use black them because I can see the dark grey clash with the black border and I just don't think black works well on LED displays, so I was just curios.

Reactions: sorgo †

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
I have two LCD display-equipped devices, the iPad Mini (5th Generation) and an iPhone 8 Plus, and while dark mode seems to call for a true black on new devices, it still looks and works great. I wish Apple had gone/hope they eventually go with something a tad like like the Twitter app’s night mode implementation, something with two levels of darkness: a bluish grey-black and a true black like what we have thus far.

Not complaining, though. I’m still quite pleased with dark mode implementation thus far.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
Doesnt look as rich on LCD screens, but at least theres none of the horrible ghosting that is on oled.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I’ve been using it on a 2018 iPad Pro, and it actually looks excellent, better than I expected. In a bright room the dark apps are very very close to blending into the bezels. In darker environments it blends right in and you can’t even tell.

Reactions: sorgo †
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.