Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2010
So whatever happened there? We have dark mode on OS X (macOS), tvOS, so what about iOS? Doesn't make sense we have dark mode on all devices, except for our mobile devices which are most likely to be used in a dark setting?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hard to say, but doesn't seem like it's there so far.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2010
Towards the end of the iOS part of the keynote I thought it might be on the list of un-presented features. Maybe well see it later this year on the actual release. It would be a shame to wait a whole year for WW17 if it were to be released then.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Could be introduced or tested with a future developer preview, but it seems only logical if it was announced on stage along with dark mode for tvOS.

Anyway, I just turn down the screen brightness to the absolute minimum by using the Accessibility Zoom filter under the three-click shortcut. This with Night Shift helps a great deal in the dark.

Reactions: 2457248

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Towards the end of the iOS part of the keynote I thought it might be on the list of un-presented features. Maybe well see it later this year on the actual release. It would be a shame to wait a whole year for WW17 if it were to be released then.
I briefly saw something related to "bedtime" on that list and thought maybe it might relate to something like that...but finding that list online it seems that it was in reference to some sort of a "bedtime alarm".

ISRMafia

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2016
Israel
There is a new rumor Apple is gonna make a jet black iPhone color ... Maybe they will present dark mode at the keynote with the new iphone 7 .... Will make some hype for sure!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
So whatever happened there? We have dark mode on OS X (macOS), tvOS, so what about iOS? Doesn't make sense we have dark mode on all devices, except for our mobile devices which are most likely to be used in a dark setting?

Dark mode on macOS really isn't dark mode. All that is dark are the menu bars and dock, not even the notification center on Sierra, its bright white.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Dark mode on macOS really isn't dark mode. All that is dark are the menu bars and dock, not even the notification center on Sierra, its bright white.
What's the use case (and essentially usefulness) of something like that?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
What's the use case (and essentially usefulness) of something like that?
There isn't any. Its purely cosmetic. It makes dark backgrounds look better because it matches, but there is no 'dark mode' in OSX/macOS. Another reason why I am so skeptical of it appearing in iOS. tvOS 'dark mode' makes the background dark and reduces the brightness, but thats the complete functionality of that as well.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There isn't any. Its purely cosmetic. It makes dark backgrounds look better because it matches, but there is no 'dark mode' in OSX/macOS. Another reason why I am so skeptical of it appearing in iOS. tvOS 'dark mode' makes the background dark and reduces the brightness, but thats the complete functionality of that as well.
Well, a more appropriate dark mode can be made for iOS even if what exists for macOS or tvOS is somewhat different.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Makes sense to have dark mode on tvOS when you're in a dark room watching a movie. I think Apple's reason for dark mode on MacOS was so you could focus on the task at hand and not be distracted by the background. I'm not sure what the purpose of dark mode would be on iOS when there is night shift to make the display easier on the eyes when you are looking at things at night.

ISRMafia

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2016
Israel
Makes sense to have dark mode on tvOS when you're in a dark room watching a movie. I think Apple's reason for dark mode on MacOS was so you could focus on the task at hand and not be distracted by the background. I'm not sure what the purpose of dark mode would be on iOS when there is night shift to make the display easier on the eyes when you are looking at things at night.

For the sake of Not getting blind at night./ Personally i think it will fit my space grey better than all this white it can be a new permanent theme for me .

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Night mode could make things even better at night or in the dark compared to night shift which eased things but certainly is still fairly different from what dark mode could be like.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Windows 10 has dark mode in the new update, so it can definitely be done. It only works with Windows Store apps but it's a start.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
Needs to be added at LEAST for Notifications / Control Center.

I would like it to be added to native apps first (Messages, Photos, Notes, Settings) with an API later.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I think it's definitely on Apple's radar. I believe there are a couple of dependencies they may be waiting on, either one or the other.
Option 1 - They're waiting for an 'all black' iPhone 7 (medium likelihood)
Option 2 - They're waiting until the screen in the iPhone is amoled (high likelihood)

I think we won't see a dark mode until next year, and Apple will make a really big deal about it in the Keynote which will go hand in hand with the AMOLED screen introduction. Apple will make a big deal about jet black colours (with no compromises to the colour-gamut and screen viewability). They'll also make a big deal about battery-life savings.

Additionally I think some other apps will get similar redesign treatments like what Maps, News and Music received this year. Expect to see refreshed Phone app, Mail, Safari ands Books apps, ofcourse with the dark mode customisations as well. All this will go hand in hand.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Option 2 - They're waiting until the screen in the iPhone is amoled (high likelihood)

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

Dark Mode will be a unique feature of the first OLED iPhone. And it won't just turn things a shade of dark grey. The display will have black (unlit) sections, and it will look amazing and be very efficient.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
There just isn't as much room for improvement so they are saving stuff for the future... 2016 is already the lost year... they probably want a huge impact in 2017

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.