Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When do you think a dark mode will be added

• During the 10.0 Betas

Votes: 5 21.7%

Votes: 2 8.7%

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Not Until iOS 11 or later

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters

iApplereviews

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
Do you guys want a iOS dark mode? Do you think dark mode will be released later on either in the 10.0 betas or maybe as a 10.1 or 10.2 update?

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I was so hopeful for it this year, and would gladly welcome it, but I'm still of the belief it just doesn't make sense for Apple. Dark mode won't serve a real purpose, both from a software and hardware point, until they move to AMOLED displays in 2017.

I think they are in the very early stages of development for it, but they will, and should, spend the next year refining it to ensure a great, fully functioning rollout.

iApplereviews

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
I was so hopeful for it this year, and would gladly welcome it, but I'm still of the belief it just doesn't make sense for Apple. Dark mode won't serve a real purpose, both from a software and hardware point, until they move to AMOLED displays in 2017.

I think they are in the very early stages of development for it, but they will, and should, spend the next year refining it to ensure a great, fully functioning rollout.
I know it doesnt make sense hardware wise and theres no gain from it but user experience wise it would be awesome for using your phone in dark conditions

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I know it doesnt make sense hardware wise and theres no gain from it but user experience wise it would be awesome for using your phone in dark conditions
Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you on that, and as said I would welcome it. I've been waiting on dark mode for years, but at this point it doesn't make sense when we are a year away from a time when dark mode will truly matter for both user and company.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
I think this is just starting in the works for the switchover to OLED next year's iPhone; where a dark mode would yield some benefit.

I dont see it coming any sooner but rather they are just laying the framework

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
The only evidence of any dark mode framework that has been found, that didn't already exist, is in the messaging app. I highly doubt we will be looking at system-wide implementation within the next few months if there is no further evidence. More like an early 2017 update, or at WWDC '17.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.