Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
Weird bug where some white backgrounds in safari are also dark. Safari on the left Firefox on the right.
I guess it is because there is not declared any background color, and Safari defaults to a dark color for the background.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Anyone liking dark mode on Mojave? I feel it's almost too dark, especially in Mail.

I do not care for dark mode on my phone and I care of it even less on my Mac. It makes things like cursors and menus harder to read. Also, text is a real eye sore because of the stark contrast differences.

People have been asking for dark mode since before I can remember, and it has just never been good for me personally. I am not sure why the fascination.

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
it also does that in mail.. and I find it too dark to my taste!
It must be for the same reason, when there are not a html email where colors are defined, it will be in the default dark background color. For me it looks good, but my taste is not yours, and also what you are able to get used to. :) Anyway, Apple tend to tweak the UI during the betas, so it will be more interesting to see how it will look when it is out of beta.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
it also does that in mail.. and I find it too dark to my taste!
I have an email signature which includes a black logo as a .png which makes it very hard to see when Mail is in Dark Mode - I wonder if there will be any solution to this by the time the public release is ready? Not quite sure how it should be handled - maybe I should just put it in a white border as opposed to leaving it transparent.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I have an email signature which includes a black logo as a .png which makes it very hard to see when Mail is in Dark Mode - I wonder if there will be any solution to this by the time the public release is ready? Not quite sure how it should be handled - maybe I should just put it in a white border as opposed to leaving it transparent.

I've received some emails where the logo is expected to be seen on a white background. The only way to fix it would be to send an html mail with a define background color and your logo on top. Most of the commercial emails I get looks OK (they have their own CSS color) but the casual email looks bad. The links are blue on dark grey and it's not great. That's probably why Microsoft left the message body area white.

Reactions: cambookpro

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
I do not care for dark mode on my phone and I care of it even less on my Mac. It makes things like cursors and menus harder to read. Also, text is a real eye sore because of the stark contrast differences.

People have been asking for dark mode since before I can remember, and it has just never been good for me personally. I am not sure why the fascination.

Maybe not your thing.

But if a lot of people been asking you can imagine that many like it.

I personally try to get as many apps as possible with dark mode. Like my twitter client or any other app possible.

Been waiting for native dark mode in macOS since ages. Why? I personally think it looks better. And for most pro's they prefer dark UI as well. It's why Photoshop, After Effects or Final Cut X are all dark UI.

And most importantly: It's much better on the eyes. Especially in evenings and at night. I use Night Shift but even then the app & finder elements are still too bright.

Reactions: scribz

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
Weird bug where some white backgrounds in safari are also dark. Safari on the left Firefox on the right.

Make sure you file a bug with Apple about that. I don't know if there is a separate area for developers to submit bugs in beta software not yet available to the wider public, but for everyone else it's https://bugreport.apple.com.

I personally try to get as many apps as possible with dark mode. Like my twitter client or any other app possible.

Been waiting for native dark mode in macOS since ages. Why? I personally think it looks better. And for most pro's they prefer dark UI as well. It's why Photoshop, After Effects or Final Cut X are all dark UI.

As a developer myself all my pro apps have a dark UI and I honestly can't work any other way. Even in Firefox, so macOS having a true dark mode is great news. I honestly didn't think Apple would ever do it. Despite people claiming macOS 10.14 has nothing new, to me they've done everything I wanted them to do and more. They are putting a real focus on performance, stability and the overall experience for pro users. It's a welcome change.

Last edited:
Reactions: scribz

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Make sure you file a bug with Apple about that. I don't know if there is a separate area for developers to submit bugs in beta software not yet available to the wider public, but for everyone else it's https://bugreport.apple.com.
I'm not 100% sure it's a bug - if websites don't explicitly declare a background colour, Safari will default to either a dark or light background depending on the mode you're in.

Maybe submit it as a suggestion rather than a bug.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Does the Safari 12 include dark mode for the dev tools? (Dev tools can be shown by right clicking the page and choosing "inspect element")

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Maybe not your thing.

But if a lot of people been asking you can imagine that many like it.

And most importantly: It's much better on the eyes. Especially in evenings and at night. I use Night Shift but even then the app & finder elements are still too bright.

I also use nighshift, but that’s way different than dark mode. I feel like the contrast in dark mode would be worse for your eyes? Whites pop off the screen to the point it almost hurts. It would remind me of watching TV in the dark for 8 hours a day.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
P
I prefer Windows 10's dark mode over Mac..

Windows
momJzW6.jpg

Mac
PCurKr8.png

Bonus shot:

My Manjaro desktop
Dm13Umg.png

[doublepost=1528217052][/doublepost]my raspberry pi dark mode

DmELllJ.png

:)
[doublepost=1528217747][/doublepost]Man-jave
YOklTUU.jpg

Dark + bright wallpaper
MkkYRKf.jpg

Dark mode, bright wallpaper : email & map. The mailboxes pane is blurred when the app is selected, and solid when out of focus (it's the same for the calendar app)

HZzzDYW.jpg
Wow the macOS version of dark mode is way better than the windows version IMO.

A dark mode should be dark and its exactly what I expected

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
The new Dark Mode has all the same problems as the (pre-OS X) Mac OS dark theme had. It looks great in the Finder with plenty of tweaking by the user, but when you use it in real-world situations, it's not all it's cracked-up to be... it has its own set of issues that are difficult to adjust to. For me it's always been the dark GUI with white documents/pages/emails etc. Having transparency in the GUI doesn't help the situation.

I hope I take to it more than I did the previous OS dark theme. It really looks slick the way they portray it.

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
I'm not 100% sure it's a bug - if websites don't explicitly declare a background colour, Safari will default to either a dark or light background depending on the mode you're in.
Actually I thought also it is deliberate, but I found that if I did a refresh of the webpage, the background color turned white again.

Anyway, for html in default colors, and text-only output, (both in mail and safari) it can't be rendered with dark background and dark text. I think that if you run dark mode, it is cool and practical for oled users to use a dark background with light text.

But if web-designers only choose the foreground color, they must then now also be specific about the background color as well.

It will be interesting to see how Apple will solve this during the betas.

Reactions: cambookpro

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have to say with dark mode on, it does look sharp. I was not a fan of it when it was announced but working with it, I'm pleased with it

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I like the concept ... but it's too dark for my liking ... half the time I miss stuff because everything is so dark that it runs together ... hopefully Apple will sort it out in subsequent beta releases.

I've also noticed that they've eliminated the dark dock/menu bar as options... so you can't go back to the way it was in High Sierra (and earlier) - light interface with dark dock and menu bar.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've had it on for a while, bit I just turned it off. I think for my usage, it can be nice, but only for short periods of time.

Salty Pirate

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
kansas city
Just an opinion.

Don't like it for extended periods of time. Too dark. Hard to pick things out visually in finder, etc.

Now what would be cool is light mode in the day and automatically switch to dark mode at night as an option in night shift.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
It looks fantastic in certain apps, while in others it might need a bit more work. I think I’m going to stay in dark mode from now on. Switching to light mode is a bit jarring now. I just wish that the dynamic mojave wallpaper cycled while in dark mode

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.