Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
Original poster
I might be only one of, maybe, three people here who love the Dark Souls games. This post is for them. The rest of you people are wimpy, and can move on to whatever games you wimpy people play. Care Bears 6 or something. I don't know.

But if you're still here, then that means you're either of the brave 3, or you're steeling yourself up to maybe make the attempt to become one of the few, the proud, the owners of at least two broken controllers. For those of you who have remained in here up til this point, here's 4 minutes of gameplay from the up and coming Dark Souls III.

...and that's about the most Dark Souls thing I think I've ever seen. Can't wait to break more controllers. :D

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I didn't even know there was a DS3 on the way. Loved DS2 and finished it on many NG+ modes. It became especially fun when I dropped my heavy armor/heavy shield build (it spoiled all the fun for most fights) and went for a build with heide knight set top to bottom and washing pole katana sword, just epic. Yeah, it's one of the games that will not pat you on the back; it's unforgiving and reminds me of an era where games required really dedicated gamers. It's all about skill or die and you have to earn your progress, on every step.

Broken controllers ? I wish. There are many more things in danger around you when you play a DS game, especially when you are ready to land the last hit on a boss and he just executes you because you were late for 1/10 of a second :p

Thanks for the heads up. I'll certainly look for it when it's out.

Reactions: Renzatic

Renzatic

Suspended
Original poster
Broken controllers ? I wish. There are many more things in danger around you when you play a DS game, especially when you are ready to land the last hit on a boss and he just executes you because you were late for 1/10 of a second :p

It's more like you went one step too far, maybe try to land that extra hit in, or didn't roll back far enough, and you know...YOU KNOW...you screwed up. The Souls games have a great way of making you appreciate the consequences of your bad tactical decisions before dropping the hammer on you.

This more than anything is what leads to broken controllers. It's not that you screwed up, it's that you know exactly how you screwed up, and damnit, you should've know better! GRRRRR! :mad:

Oh, and from the way you're talking, I take it you haven't played the first DS yet, right? If you haven't, you really should. As great as DS2 was, the first is still arguably the better game.

Reactions: antonis

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
It's more like you went one step too far, maybe try to land that extra hit in, or didn't roll back far enough, and you know...YOU KNOW...you screwed up. The Souls games have a great way of making you appreciate the consequences of your bad tactical decisions before dropping the hammer on you.

This more than anything is what leads to broken controllers. It's not that you screwed up, it's that you know exactly how you screwed up, and damnit, you should've know better! GRRRRR! :mad:

Oh, and from the way you're talking, I take it you haven't played the first DS yet, right? If you haven't, you really should. As great as DS2 was, the first is still arguably the better game.

Indeed, any screw up is never a matter of luck or because something unpredictable happened. Game is anything but unfair, it's always a player's screw up, which is what can drive you mad. The gargoyles on the roof or the old iron king...madness.

You're correct, never played DS1 which I read it was even better especially regarding PvE part (which is all that matters to me). I might give it a try by the new year, as a warm up for DS3.

Renzatic

Suspended
Original poster
Indeed, any screw up is never a matter of luck or because something unpredictable happened. Game is anything but unfair, it's always a player's screw up, which is what can drive you mad. The gargoyles on the roof or the old iron king...madness.

Damn, I hate the Old Iron King. Not only is he hard as hell to get to, but you always end up getting killed not by him, but by falling into that oh so conveniently placed pit. I bet I've rolled into that thing 20 times.

You're correct, never played DS1 which I read it was even better especially regarding PvE part (which is all that matters to me). I might give it a try by the new year, as a warm up for DS3.

I don't do the PvP thing much, either.

The thing that makes DS1 the better game isn't the mechanics (which are honestly a little better in DS2), it's the setting. DS2 was laid out more like spokes coming off a central hub, with most of the paths dead ending after awhile. DS1 is this giant vertically laid out twisting thing that constantly surprises you with how it's all connected together. Other than the very tops and bottoms of the map, there are always at least two ways to get somewhere. Plus, I kinda liked DS1's gothic horror (which DS3 looks to be carrying on) to DS2's dark fantasy stylings.

Reactions: antonis
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.