Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s6edge

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2016
Hey guys, I'm a bit late in responding, but I just encountered the same problem on my iPhone 5, and discovered a solution that worked for me. Upon looking carefully at the lens of my camera, I noticed that there was a piece of dust on the iPhone's lens, but underneath the glass cover. My idea was to dislodge the dust from the lens. Essentially I banged the rear face of the iPhone against a table, which dislodged the offending debris, and deposited it somewhere else in the enclosure where it was no longer visible.

Details: I placed a piece of printer paper against a very flat table to act as a shock absorber and to avoid scratching. I then placed the bottom rear edge of the iPhone flush against the paper, with the rear of the phone at about a 45 degree angle to the paper and table. At this point the rear camera is facing toward the table (at an angle).

Now hold the top of the iPhone (by the earpiece and sleep button) with one hand while applying a downward force (toward the table) with your other hand on the front display (the forces cancel). Then suddenly release the hand holding the top of the phone and allow the phone to accelerate due to the downward force of your other hand toward the table. What will happen is the entire flat backside of the phone will hit the table simultaneously. Repeat as necessary, And between each try, check the camera app to see if the dust spot has disappeared.

Hey guys, I'm a bit late in responding, but I just encountered the same problem on my iPhone 5, and discovered a solution that worked for me. Upon looking carefully at the lens of my camera, I noticed that there was a piece of dust on the iPhone's lens, but underneath the glass cover. My idea was to dislodge the dust from the lens. Essentially I banged the rear face of the iPhone against a table, which dislodged the offending debris, and deposited it somewhere else in the enclosure where it was no longer visible.

Details: I placed a piece of printer paper against a very flat table to act as a shock absorber and to avoid scratching. I then placed the bottom rear edge of the iPhone flush against the paper, with the rear of the phone at about a 45 degree angle to the paper and table. At this point the rear camera is facing toward the table (at an angle).

Now hold the top of the iPhone (by the earpiece and sleep button) with one hand while applying a downward force (toward the table) with your other hand on the front display (the forces cancel). Then suddenly release the hand holding the top of the phone and allow the phone to accelerate due to the downward force of your other hand toward the table. What will happen is the entire flat backside of the phone will hit the table simultaneously. Repeat as necessary, And between each try, check the camera app to see if the dust spot has disappeared.

I can't believe it! It worked with my s6 edge! Prior, I had been on the phone with Samsung for over 2 hours to resolve this issue. It turned out at the end, the rep suggested I had to take it in. Then, I can across this thread, and it was fixed in 2 minutes. Thank you, thank you Daniel Walsh. It took a few bangs, because I was not banging hard enough. I used the stack of paper to buffer the force and made sure my phone cover was securely on. I am soooo happy now.

ironivian

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2016

[doublepost=1456060594][/doublepost]

Daniel Walsh when I first read your post I thought you were crazy until I read the reviews of how your trick worked and by my surprise it worked for me too so if anyone has any doubts give it a try and it'll work

jessmess1452

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2016

A-MAZE-ING.

Thank you so much!! I created an account just to say thank you! ;)

ritzybin

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2016

Awesome!!! I was thinking this is crazy and people who approved of it must be your friends lol... I tried it on my wooden flooring. Just one little impact on floor and it is gone. I just made sure I don't hit it too hard to avoid any damage to phone. So I tried it lightly to see if it works and whooosh... there it was... Magic! That spot is gone and I can live happily with my phone now :) By the way, I searched for this everywhere on internet and everyone suggested to go to Mac Genius and they will replace the phone. However, mine is out of warranty and I was feeling that phone is useless after its most advertised camera gone.
Thanks a lot. I can use my phone as usual now.
[doublepost=1480929197][/doublepost]
Awesome!!! I was thinking this is crazy and people who approved of it must be your friends lol... I tried it on my wooden flooring. Just one little impact on floor and it is gone. I just made sure I don't hit it too hard to avoid any damage to phone. So I tried it lightly to see if it works and whooosh... there it was... Magic! That spot is gone and I can live happily with my phone now :) By the way, I searched for this everywhere on internet and everyone suggested to go to Mac Genius and they will replace the phone. However, mine is out of warranty and I was feeling that phone is useless after its most advertised camera gone.
By the way... I also just registered on this site to post this comment.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
[doublepost=1480929197][/doublepost]
By the way... I also just registered on this site to post this comment.

I am glad this very old thread helped you out!

Reactions: Sunny1990

BuckyB

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2017

You sir are god

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Get some isopropyl alcohol and micro fiber cloth and thoroughly clean the lense
Remember a tiny microdot of film or dirt on the lense will darken a spot on your pictures. If that doesn't work bring it back to apple

peterpan321

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2017

Daniel, Just registered so I could thank you. Had the same issue on my new LG G5. Was all ready to send it back to the ebay seller. Your solution worked perfectly. I thank you for taking the time to post it.

hafiz9977

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2017
I just signed up to Thank you DW. I was a bit skeptic at first but tried exactly as instructed. IT WORKED!
TQVM!

Photo Guy

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2017
New York Area

[doublepost=1493481642][/doublepost]Walsh for President!!
As a photographer I had a good idea why this was happening. I even tried whacking the phone against my hand a few times in a similar approach before reading this post. Didn't work.
This gave me confidence to try again. First time the spot moved from lower edge to dead center of the frame. Second whack -- gone. Thanks for the inspired, no tools, no travel, 30 second fix.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I think this was a thing back when the 5 first came out. I seem to recall having this issue on my first 5. I would recommend taking it to Apple and see if they can help.

Murphee

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2017

Guys, lmao. It works. I can't believe it. I was skeptical and I have an iphone X and this thread was started for the iPhone 5 I believe. Here it is still helping people out. I had a dark circle on my camera app when I would go to take pics. On white background you could really see it. I switched to the zoom lens and the spot was gone so I atleast knew the origin of the problem. I followed this advice and I **** you not (when you drop-make sure your camera app is on so you can see your camera view as you do this trick) you actually see the damn spot move and on the 3rd drop it was gone. Lmaooo. Unreal man!! Good lookin' out fam!!
[doublepost=1513359104][/doublepost]
Guys, lmao. It works. I can't believe it. I was skeptical and I have an iphone X and this thread was started for the iPhone 5 I believe. Here it is still helping people out. I had a dark circle on my camera app when I would go to take pics. On white background you could really see it. I switched to the zoom lens and the spot was gone so I atleast knew the origin of the problem. I followed this advice and I **** you not (when you drop-make sure your camera app is on so you can see your camera view as you do this trick) you actually see the damn spot move and on the 3rd drop it was gone. Lmaooo. Unreal man!! Good lookin' out fam!!
Oh, and I made an account just to post this success story. I never post to things.

Reactions: Kenziegigantic

Kenziegigantic

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2018
Just another user who only registered to say THIS ACTUALLY WORKS! I got an iPhone 7 in September and the infamous smudge showed up today. I used my mousepad as a shock absorber and after a few tries, the smudge was gone! I ranted about it on Snapchat to my fellow iPhone owners. I attached a collage of the first video frames (original smudge, followed by smudge that moved a bit) and the final result (no smudge!). I’m so happy this actually worked!

Attachments

• E6E63A24-59C2-4D93-9B06-1D732D89B266.jpeg
    E6E63A24-59C2-4D93-9B06-1D732D89B266.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 360

Honeybizzle

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2018

Hi all! I may seriously be a dingus but I’m not understanding what to do from these instructions at all. I am more of a visual learner. Can someone please upload a video to YouTube showing exactly what they did? I already searched in the hopes that someone did already but there wasn’t anything that I could find showing this method. Or step by step pics would work as well!

If anyone does, I will be eternally thankful!! :) TIA

Pen island

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2018

I created an account just to say that I did this with my iPhone X and it worked the first time.

There isn’t an Apple center in the country I’m visiting right now, so thank you so much!

KcCw

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2018
Just wanted to report that I too just got the dark spot, panicked, googled, found this post, and your method WORKED. It took me three drops. I don’t love that the debris is still in there, but at least I can fix it now. Thank you SO much!

sierra_mist

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2019

I have an iPhone 7 and this doesn’t work with the multiple spots it has on the camera.
[doublepost=1556999286][/doublepost]
Daniel Walsh, you're a genius. I have an iPhone 6+. Not sure how you figured this out but it does indeed work. I must say I was a bit skeptical, someone suggesting I drop my phone...... I had already tried banging it against my hand and banging lightly on the table, neither worked. I tried your method. Held the phone a couple of inches from the table, with the camera on, and dropped it. The spot immediately moved to another location. I dropped it again, the spot moved again. On the 4th drop the spot disappeared. I now have clear pictures. Thank you very much.
Can someone make a video on how to do this?

Malthe Kanstrup Skøtt

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2020

this works on iphone 11 Too, Thanks a lot

tonychandra

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2020

I created an account just to say that I did this with my iPhone 11 Pro Max.

this works on my iphone 11 PRO MAX Too,

need 30 minutes to figure it out.
Thanks a lot

epenza

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2020

Can someone explain me on the drawing? I don't know how to do it. iPhone 7.

Zi Ang Wang

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
Hey Daniel,
Your method saved my iPhone from the dxxned spot! I tried a dozen times in sleep mode, nothing happened, till I turned camera on, bang, the spot moved! it took me another 2 to 3 times before it disappeared completely! Thank you very much! 2020/10/29 from Taiwan

P.S I registered to this forum just to say thank you

Rayze134

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2021
I created an account just to say that I did this with my iPhone 11 Pro Max.

this works on my iphone 11 PRO MAX Too,

need 30 minutes to figure it out.
Thanks a lot
I have an iPhone 11 and I’ve tried doing his method multiple times but it doesn’t seem to work? Can you help or give me a simpler explanation to what you did?

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
iPhone 15 has came out and it happens to my iPhone now. Can Apple improve build quality after 10 years?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.