Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rasvoja

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2021
Belgrade, Serbia
Thinking of getting newer Mac from iMac G5 in 2025

Cheap ebay option: 64GB maxed Darth Vader mac Pro, 12 Core, nvm SSD

CONS: Linux x64, Windows, better then my PC, can get cheap Final Cut Pro
PROBS: Abandoned by Apple, troublesome server class CPU, are both gfx cards used?
Limited periphal support, must hunt older mices, keyboards and SuperDrive

Mid option: 8GB M1 256GB SSD MacMini Pro

CONS: Future proof
PROBS: Little RAM for Baldurs Gate 3 and Final CUT steam games, unknown Linux dual boot
Expensive periphals, extreme unpgreadablity of RAM and SSD (bad, bad, mad, mad Apple)

High End (will take 2 more years in poor Serbia) 16GB M2 512GB SSD MacMini Pro
Same as with M1

Note that for M2 Pro price I can heve M1, Darth Vader and an Amiga :D

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
you have Pro (for) and Con (against) reversed.

I am one of the Mac Pro 2013's biggest fans, it is a fun old computer but get an M-class unless you are broke.

OTOH, why would you say peripheral support is a Con of the Mac Pro? It works with any device the minis can use.

Reactions: rasvoja

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
I love the 2013 Mac Pro but since you keep a machine for a very long time, it's a major bummer for it to be dropped from MacOS support before you even get it. They are a bit unreliable too (GPUs dying) and only 1 of the dual GPUs is used for graphics acceleration.

Regarding peripheral issues are you simply talking about USB-A vs USB-C ports? That's very easy to work around in either direction with tiny cheap adapters.

Reactions: barbu and rasvoja

rasvoja

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2021
Belgrade, Serbia
you have Pro (for) and Con (against) reversed.

I am one of the Mac Pro 2013's biggest fans, it is a fun old computer but get an M-class unless you are broke.

What is an M Class?

I see Maxed ones, 12 core, dual ATI and 1GB SSD are reasonable priced (compared to modern MacMini)
Can it triple boot its best MacOS X, Linux and Windows 11?

Also, can modern MacOS X somehow look like MacOS 8.5, OS9 or those operating system be nicely sandboxed / emulated?

I prefer clean old Apple look to shiny fancy hipster MacOS X GUI (same opinion of iOS)

What can I say ... Amigan here.

rasvoja

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2021
Belgrade, Serbia
On periphals: Seems its hard to find black keyboard with numpad and black mouse, since ebay sells just Darth Vader not the full sys (just like I have iMac G5 I bought cable kbd and mouse for)

Seems to me just certain OS versions supports certain "Magic" (rip off) keyboards and mices

Also, I dont understand what Thunderbolts are and plus I miss Optics.
SuperDrive DVD is expensive, is it a writter?
Is there a BlueRay writter that works on Darth Vader or MacMini?

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
On periphals: Seems its hard to find black keyboard with numpad and black mouse, since ebay sells just Darth Vader not the full sys (just like I have iMac G5 I bought cable kbd and mouse for)

Seems to me just certain OS versions supports certain "Magic" (rip off) keyboards and mices

Also, I dont understand what Thunderbolts are and plus I miss Optics.
SuperDrive DVD is expensive, is it a writter?
Is there a BlueRay writter that works on Darth Vader or MacMini?
you can use any usb keyboard or mouse built in the last, what, 30 years? As for tracking down specific Apple keyboards, that is something else. But it's not like you have to have an Apple keyboard and mouse. That is the same for an old Mac or a brand new M series. ($2 adapter notwithstanding).

thunderbolt is an intel protocol for highspeed data transmission. Thunderbolt 2 used the mini display port form factor. Newew thunderbolt 3/4 uses the USB-C form factor.

All SuperDrives are writers. Don't know about blurry but search is your friend.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
Sounds like you need a good combination of cost, performance and plenty of RAM. The last mini before the M-series (M1/M2/M3) are pretty cheap now, second hand.

with maybe 32GB RAM. I think you could get one for around 500 euros.
It qualifies for the latest version of macOS, has fast storage and USB-C Thunderbolt3 ports. I had one myself - very happy with it, except the fan could get noisy on heavy load.

Everymac.com:

Geekbench:
You'll find it at 1426 singlecore and 5561 multicore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.