Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skipunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Hi,

I have two ideas for widgets that I would like to try to implement. However both involve grabbing information off websites. Could someone please tell me how I would go about grabbing info from websites ?

Thanks

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
skipunk said:
Hi,

I have two ideas for widgets that I would like to try to implement. However both involve grabbing information off websites. Could someone please tell me how I would go about grabbing info from websites ?

Thanks

Is this information available in an XML format such as an RSS? Or are you looking to parse through the HTML and essentially write a screen scraper?

skipunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
I essentially want to parse a file and pull out the information that I want, and then display it in a nice way. Both pages I want to get info out of have .php extensions, but when I look at the source the information that I want to grab is all there.

PS. The things I want to do are get the score of my favorite hockey team off the league website, and also to get the snow report information off the local mountains website

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.