Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cooee!

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2014
Honestly, I never found any use for the dashboard. Maybe it should be removed or replaced by the siri window in iOS 9 when maybe siri launches on mac.
Image001.png

Reactions: bumblebritches5

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I think that's a distinct possibility. Sort of a Google Now type implementation. Can you even access the dashboard on OS X without hot corners?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Honestly, I never found any use for the dashboard. Maybe it should be removed or replaced by the siri window in iOS 9 when maybe siri launches on mac.
There are still some things Dashboard can do that can't be done elsewhere, like display a part of a webpage without having to go to it in the browser. For this reason I still use it sometimes, and since it can be disabled in Yosemite there's no harm in leaving it in (although I'm surprised they did so far in 10.11).

neutrak

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
It has been really neglected for many years. The widgets are still the same design as way back in Tiger. They don't fit with the design language of Yosemite at all and I don't find myself ever using it anymore.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
It should be turned off by default at the very least. It's ugly and dated looking, it's obviously never getting updated to why keep it?

Reactions: bumblebritches5

Cooee!

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2014
There are still some things Dashboard can do that can't be done elsewhere, like display a part of a webpage without having to go to it in the browser. For this reason I still use it sometimes, and since it can be disabled in Yosemite there's no harm in leaving it in (although I'm surprised they did so far in 10.11).

I didn't know it could be disabled. Thanks

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
While I agree it is negelected and could use a refreshing update, I must say I use it daily.

Of course, I could find apps to replace what I use it for, but I like that they are all contained in one location/window. Maybe a seperate space for small apps is a good replacement?

one|mac

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2015
Google for DashboardGmer, UnityWidgets or GameWidgets. Great Games for the Mac OS X Dashboard. Donkey Kong anyone???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.