Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Apple should kill the dialogs..

Is there any way to shut off the d@mn "you're installing an application, are you sure?" requestor nonsense? Of COURSE I'm SURE OR I WOULDN'T HAVE INITIATED THE D@MN DOWNLOAD IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! PLEASE, someone, tell me how to make it stop!!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
That message is there for a reason. When people click on a link, they don't always realize it will cause a download, and they should be especially wary when they download a file that contains an application. If they didn't get this warning, they might end up running code they didn't know somebody had delivered to them. Not good for security.

The feature that annoys you is vital to many other users, just as "are you sure you want to delete?" prompts are important to all of us, while still being annoying when you're thinking "of course I want to delete it, that's why I clicked Delete!"

brogers

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2002
Greensboro, NC
eva01 said:
Maybe since all the widgets are basically little webpages open if you click the icon it will display the widget on a blank safari page so you can see how it works, then you can decide to download and install it or not.

Now that sounds more reasonable. I have downloaded several and later deleted because it was not what I thought or needed. I hope this is the answer or something close...

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
perhaps this button will produce a widget for the page you have open? sort of like having your favorite sites in your dashboard? you wont need to open safari to check your sites or even wait for someone to create a widget for the site. safari will author its own widgets.
Even better would be the ability to frame just the part of the site you want to see like a weather bar or team score using a cmd+shft+4 like command..... any takers?

bloogersnigen

macrumors regular
May 15, 2005
Wherever the water flows
virus1 said:
how the hell do they find this stuff? is there really some guy who checks out the resource files of all the different apple apps in the minor mac os bug fix releases? wow.. and they say i don't have a life..

Agreed. Do something useful with your life. Wait why am i wasting my time writing this. Guess i'm no better

hellasketchy

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2005
You need Taboo, download and follow the instructions (requires going into Terminal)

Developer's site here: http://www.ocdev.com/

I registered just to tell you this, feel the love.

Xapplimatic said:
Is there any way to shut off the d@mn "you're installing an application, are you sure?" requestor nonsense? Of COURSE I'm SURE OR I WOULDN'T HAVE INITIATED THE D@MN DOWNLOAD IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! PLEASE, someone, tell me how to make it stop!!

iceTrX

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Outside of Detroit.
The locked bookmarks icon actually already does something. If you have a limited user account with parental controls turned on that icon is used to denote you cannot change the bookmarks unless you are an admin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.