Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mithlond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
So... I've thought about this several times but haven't seen anyone mention it yet. I know native apps are all the rage, but (as we've seen with the recent Google Voice debacle and subsequent Safari Mobile web app release) some people still want their appy goodness via the browser.

The question: will all those yummy new UI components we saw Uncle Steve showing off on the iPad be available for web app devs in Dashcode? Or will Apple try to keep the Safari app development locked down to iPhone/iPod touch-only?

What think ye?​

mithlond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Bueller?

Or does anyone care about iPhone Web Apps really, except as a workaround (e.g. Google Voice)? Is native the only thing people care about? Sure, native apps are better for fullscreen games, etc. But from a dev perspective simple apps are much faster to produce in js+css+html than Objective-C.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
I don't think they'll be all that necessary for the most part. There will be niches but think about this. People spent the first year of the iphone readying their websites/ webapps for a 3.5 inch screen, eg mobile version etc. Then software 2.0 and a lot of the same people spent effort to make a native app that was much faster and smoother with more options than just using safari (which is limited when accessing other sections of the phone like photos for uploads etc). Now that we have a decent sized screen for browsing, I don't think the majority of apps are necessary in this category, nor are the web apps since at this size you should be using the full websites.

On the other hand, I look forward to seeing games, note taking apps, texbooks, comics, and maybe a decent pdf reader that works like ibooks. I don't mean for books but for manuals or other legit pdf files you can get online such as for a new car stereo or car in general etc.

Basically i see the focus shifting for developers who hop on board. At least they should get away from the idea that they need to account for screen limitations like on the iphone / other mobile devices.

I fear the day we see a farmville app on the iPad =).

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Bueller?

Or does anyone care about iPhone Web Apps really, except as a workaround (e.g. Google Voice)? Is native the only thing people care about? Sure, native apps are better for fullscreen games, etc. But from a dev perspective simple apps are much faster to produce in js+css+html than Objective-C.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin.

Nothing personal if your a dev that prefers web app coding... but no one cares how their apps are created. If you walked up to 10 people on the street, they wouldn't know if they are running a native or web app, they know how they got it. App Store.

How the app is delivered outweighs what kind it is by far. Ease of use/installing wins out over anything else for most people I would guess.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Since web apps are always going to have a slower responding interface, I am not sure how you can say it would not matter.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Nothing personal if your a dev that prefers web app coding... but no one cares how their apps are created. If you walked up to 10 people on the street, they wouldn't know if they are running a native or web app, they know how they got it. App Store.

How the app is delivered outweighs what kind it is by far. Ease of use/installing wins out over anything else for most people I would guess.

Can't buy web apps on the app store, so they would know it's a web app because they have to use it in Safari and found it there to begin with.

Unless you're talking about one of those apps that is simply full screen Safari that loads a web app like those stupid Mafia games?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.