Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2016
Hi there,
I've recently managed to find an old iPhone 3GS which I have owned in the past. There is important information inside, and many irreplaceable photos. I know it's a model which is really obselete but I really hope if anyone can help here.
1. I jailbroke the phone, used it for a while, but it something messed up and my phone bricked. I left it in a shelf and forgot about it for a while. This was in 2011.
2. I found it again recently while moving. The battery was really weak, and didn't seem to charge so I couldn't put it into DFU mode or anything else for me to recover the data. (It was still bricked)
3. I sent the phone to a friend so he could help me replace the battery
4. I recieved it back with the battery replaced and in working order, but I am not sure why it was restored (I also have no way of checking what he did - would replacing the battery somehow make it factory reset? Or did he do that for me?)
5. Is there any way I can recover the data from the phone? I understand that restoring it does not actually overwrite the data. I'm thinking if there's any way to do a dump of the chip and extract data directly from there.

Please help :/ I'm really bummed out now as there's a lot of old stuff in the phone which I want to recover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.