Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

actorkid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I'm really sorry about all of my nooby questions but I've never owned a mac so I'm really new to this.

I currently own a 100 gig external HD an 8 gig iPhone and a 60 gig 5G ipod video.

My main concern is transferring my important data to the macbook.

My understanding is that I will have to reformat my iPhone and iPod for mac...how easy is it to do this and how will it affect the data on my iPhone and iPod?

Will i have to reformat my external HD too? All my iTunes music and important stuff is already on it so I hope it won't be too hard to transfer all of that stuff.

Also, one of my biggest concerns is my Contacts list on my iPhone...is there a way to transfer my contacts from Windows Address Book (piece of crap) straight into my mac? I really don't want to lose all of my contacts. I have a lot of them.

Thanks a lot! And sorry for all the questions.

~Dan

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
You don't actually have to reformat your iPod; you can still add and remove songs from it via iTunes. You only need to reformat it if you want to update the firmware.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Reformatting your iPhone and iPod is very easy iTunes will do it for you the hard drive may have to be reformatted depending on how it's formatted now if it's NTFS it will if it's FAT32 it will be fine yes you can transfer your contacts from your PC no Problem.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
You don't actually have to reformat your iPod; you can still add and remove songs from it via iTunes. You only need to reformat it if you want to update the firmware.

You can copy your music off your iPod with [guide]Senuti[/guide].

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.