Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calliex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
I am looking for a mac database to replace filemakerpro. I have filemakerpro 12 and it does not run on high sierra or mojave. I can't justify the monthly fee for it. I am running Sierra just so I can keep using it until I can find something to replace it I do not need the power of filmmaker just need something better than Excel.

Joe

calliex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
Can you describe how/why you use it? Understanding that would be helpful in making a suggestion.
I just use it as a simple database. Currently I suck in a excel spreadsheet. The biggest use is to make simple input screens based off the fields in Excel.
Looking for missing data. Having a screen where I can see all the fields makes it easier than looking at large table in excel. I guess I should bone up on excel and get it too look like a database screen.
I need to do simple searches (looking for blank fields or for a particular record.
I will not be programming anything or creating any reports.

I am not sure what I am looking for exists.

Joe

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
I use an app called iDatabase. It was pretty cheap and does exactly what I would expect from a simple database app. I use it to keep track of invoices.

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
I use an app called iDatabase. It was pretty cheap and does exactly what I would expect from a simple database app. I use it to keep track of invoices.

That's what I was going to suggest. I can't claim to have used it myself, but I've heard good things. Alternatively, OpenOffice has a database. Again, I've not used it myself and I believe it needs a Java runtime which gives me the shivers.

I'm more of a SQL person myself, but I guess that's deeper down the rabbit hole than you're wanting to go.

calliex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
That's what I was going to suggest. I can't claim to have used it myself, but I've heard good things. Alternatively, OpenOffice has a database. Again, I've not used it myself and I believe it needs a Java runtime which gives me the shivers.

I'm more of a SQL person myself, but I guess that's deeper down the rabbit hole than you're wanting to go.
I am going to look into iDatabase. Thanx for all the good info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.