Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grimmwit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Rio Rancho, NM
Probably going to be lengthy post - sorry --

I've been working to configure ten new MacBook Pro's to our AD domain. Through many days of pain, I've determined there's some sort of date/time problem with version 10.12.4 of Sierra. I can consistently reproduce the problem. If I leave the OS at 10.12.3 (shipped version), the problem doesn't occur.

Other details:
Location services are turned off
Time zone is properly set. Option to "Set Date and Time automatically" is set, using default Apple Time Servers.
Here's the pattern:

• New out of box. Create an admin account, apply all updates. So far so good.
  • Join the computer to our (AD 2003) domain (please, no comments on AD 2003; we're working on it) :)
  • Reboot computer. It will now have a date of 12/31/2037, and time varies depending on time of day.
  • If I go in to the Date/Time control panel, and unlock the padlock, the date / time immediately corrects itself.

As those of you familiar with AD know, correct date/time is critical. I don't want to turn off option to automatically set date/time for DST reasons. The users getting these computers aren't day-to-day Mac users.

Anyone else encounter this, and find a solution (aside from not using 10.12.4)?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Probably going to be lengthy post - sorry --

I've been working to configure ten new MacBook Pro's to our AD domain. Through many days of pain, I've determined there's some sort of date/time problem with version 10.12.4 of Sierra. I can consistently reproduce the problem. If I leave the OS at 10.12.3 (shipped version), the problem doesn't occur.

Other details:
Location services are turned off
Time zone is properly set. Option to "Set Date and Time automatically" is set, using default Apple Time Servers.
Here's the pattern:

• New out of box. Create an admin account, apply all updates. So far so good.
  • Join the computer to our (AD 2003) domain (please, no comments on AD 2003; we're working on it) :)
  • Reboot computer. It will now have a date of 12/31/2037, and time varies depending on time of day.
  • If I go in to the Date/Time control panel, and unlock the padlock, the date / time immediately corrects itself.

As those of you familiar with AD know, correct date/time is critical. I don't want to turn off option to automatically set date/time for DST reasons. The users getting these computers aren't day-to-day Mac users.

Anyone else encounter this, and find a solution (aside from not using 10.12.4)?

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Lots of people are having the problem with 10.12.4. It's reportedly fixed in 10.12.5 betas so you may want to just wait since 10.12.5 seems pretty late in the beta process. Some details are here: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/23582/macos-sierra-update-10-12-4-issue-and-fix

grimmwit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Rio Rancho, NM
Lots of people are having the problem with 10.12.4. It's reportedly fixed in 10.12.5 betas so you may want to just wait since 10.12.5 seems pretty late in the beta process. Some details are here: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/23582/macos-sierra-update-10-12-4-issue-and-fix

Thank you for sharing this. I've been Googling for days, and had not come across that discussion. Good to know it's being worked by Apple, and an apparent fix is near.

--Grimmwit--

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.