Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I noticed that the clock on my iPhone 8 is about a minute slow. If I go into Settings/General/Date & Time, it's set to 'Set Automatically' and has my correct time zone shown. However, it seems that the 'Set Automatically' feature isn't actually working.

If I turn SA off then I get the option to set the time myself. If I set it to a few minutes in the past or future, the clock in the status bar updates. If I then turn SA back on, the custom option disappears... but the time doesn't change. It's like it's just not even trying to get the time.

I've rebooted the phone and it hasn't helped. The same feature on my Mac is working, although I can't tell whether the phone is using the same server or not.

Any ideas?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
That's a weird one for sure! I'm assuming you're on the latest iOS and you're not traveling between time zones. You may have already tried this, but what happens if you turn off SA for at least 15 seconds (without making manual adjustments), or if it's off turn it on for 15 seconds, and then turn it back on if you turned it off. If that doesn't resolve it, does doing a Reset All Settings help?

Last edited:

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I just updated to iOS 13.5 and that fixed it! While there's nothing in the release notes about it, I suppose the act of updating caused something to get 'unjammed'.

Reactions: 0128672

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Yes, but it did it automatically before. What's changed?
I don't know what's changed and I would expect it to work automatically too. Does the timezone itself change correctly? Footnote 1 in this article may or may not apply to your travel situation:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.