Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
I was upset when I found out that Apple was dropping the iPhone 13 Mini. The size has been perfectly pocketable for me. So upon hearing that news, I raced to get another only to find new ones sold out. Didn't want a refurb. Disappointment struck. I missed the boat on the 13 Mini. Today, I was able to score a new 12 Mini for a very good price. So, I plan to temporarily mothball the 13 Mini and begin to use the 12 Mini which will have a year's warranty with AppleCare. I also found an Apple Magsafe battery pack in case the 12's smaller capactiy battery doesn't last through the day. I am a fan actually of old school anyway. Now, happily, I feel that I am set in the phone department. I was feeling pushed by Apple to by a new, full sized, more expensive phone that I did not want. I feel that I have defeated the giant, and I must say (don't mention this to anyone) that I have some sense of satisfaction about that. Now I can remain an iPhone outlier for a good while, and have a iPhone that really suits my daily needs. I love most Apple products (tried the watch once and didn't work for me), but I didn't care for the giant's latest move with the Mini so I had no choice but to take tenacious and decisive action.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pixillated

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
I would have waited for the 13 Mini to be available on apples refurbished store. My experience with the 12 Mini were not good, battery life is as bad as the SE 2, yes the SE 2. I had it for a brief moment, then got to rid of it. Battery life on it killed it for me, even though the form factor was very comfortable. 13 Mini and SE 3 had better battery life per my use.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Maybe I'm missing something, but why are you using the 12 Mini if you already have a 13 Mini? Why not just use the 13 Mini and get it repaired if something breaks? Just because Apple isn't selling them doesn't mean they won't service it.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I would have waited for another 13 mini to become available, if I was looking for a solid backup phone of the same size. At the very least, you could have kept using what you had and just get the battery replaced with needed. I think the 13 mini will be on the Apple Refurbished site in bulk before too long.

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
I would have waited for another 13 mini to become available, if I was looking for a solid backup phone of the same size. At the very least, you could have kept using what you had and just get the battery replaced with needed. I think the 13 mini will be on the Apple Refurbished site in bulk before too long.
Mini 13s have been out for a while now. Where are the Apple refurbs?

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Maybe I'm missing something, but why are you using the 12 Mini if you already have a 13 Mini? Why not just use the 13 Mini and get it repaired if something breaks? Just because Apple isn't selling them doesn't mean they won't service it.
Two phones for the price of one heavy new one. Between the two, I don't have to be in the market for a good long while.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Two phones for the price of one heavy new one. Between the two, I don't have to be in the market for a good long while.
Right, but that doesn't really answer my question. Why two phones at all? If I'm understanding correctly, you already had a 13 Mini, so what benefit does having a second phone offer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.