Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Abstract said:
Can someone explain Mulholland Drive in a nutshell, because I saw that film last year and by the end, I couldn't stop blinking and thinking of lesbians.

In the first frames we hear someone breathing and the camera settles towards a pillow. In a nutshell, the film is a dream of an aspiring actress's rise to fame in Hollywood, instead of her infatuation and obsession with a star, degradation, and eventual suicide.

That's as best as I can do within one short paragraph.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
irmongoose said:
Still winning at Cannes? Hmm... well, well.
I loved Eraserhead. I loved Twin Peaks (the TV series). I enjoyed Blue Velvet (not you).

However, I disliked The Straight Story and I more than disliked Mulholland Drive.

I agree about Twin Peaks, but I have to say that the Straight Story was one of the best written screenplays ever. I thought it was going to be stupid, but wow. I never thought that I would be sitting on the edge of my chair watching a man drive a tractor at 15miles an hour, but I was.

Lynch loves the Bobs Bigboy near Burbank. I really wanted to win the Lunch with Lynch contest, but alas, all I can do is get Pappy Parkers Chicken Snack solomente.

I do hope that this new film is a little more coherent than Mullhullland Drive- though I think I got it. I just wan’t more people to see his films so that he keeps making them.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Abstract said:
Can someone explain Mulholland Drive in a nutshell, because I saw that film last year and by the end, I couldn't stop blinking and thinking of lesbians.

You need to see Bound by the Wachowskis ;)

milatchi

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2003
San Francisco, CA
leekohler said:
Do you go to many film festivals? Those are usually the best places to see good work.
Yes, I try to go to film festivals but I usually find that 90% of what is shown is rehash, and dull. The other 10% are often diamonds hidden among coal, and it's often an arduous task sifting through the crap to find the real jewels.

aswitcher said:
So is he editing on a Mac?
:D
From what I understand, David Lynch not only edits on the Mac using FCP, but his website is run by 20 or so PowerMac G4's.

Just for the record my roomate is a big David Lynch fan, and I've seen most of his work. I for one am glad Lynch is still around trying to keep art alive.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Abstract said:

The film is a satire of Hollywood, the star system, the corruption of producers, their connections with the Mafia.

Here's a good Review

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.