Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pscl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
hey!

any of you guys playing DayZ on Bootcamp?

This game is awesome! even it is in alpha - its just great. on my rmbp late 2013 with 750m it runs great. a little laggy some times but i guess this is because the alpha is poorly optimized.

i wonder how it would run on an imac with 780m in the native resolution (1440p)!? anyone playing on imac?

greets

CTMoore

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
hey!

any of you guys playing DayZ on Bootcamp?

This game is awesome! even it is in alpha - its just great. on my rmbp late 2013 with 750m it runs great. a little laggy some times but i guess this is because the alpha is poorly optimized.

i wonder how it would run on an imac with 780m in the native resolution (1440p)!? anyone playing on imac?

greets

I'm running it on a 3 day old 27" iMac with a 755m and it runs great at 1080. I tried it on native res but was only getting about 16 fps. Probably runs much better on a 780.

EDIT: Ha, I see we had the same model iMac. Screen blew out on mine. Hope yours faired better.

pscl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
I'm running it on a 3 day old 27" iMac with a 755m and it runs great at 1080. I tried it on native res but was only getting about 16 fps. Probably runs much better on a 780.

EDIT: Ha, I see we had the same model iMac. Screen blew out on mine. Hope yours faired better.

sounds great!

but doesnt it look blurry at 1080p (considering the 27" screen)?

on my old 2011 imac 6770m 512MB all games looket like cr** when below 1440p (bad downscaling) :(

do you use MSI afterburner? on 780m people overclocked to gpu +200 and ram +300 and gain +10-20fps

btw :D whats your steam name :D

i sold the 2011 yesterday... it`s the first mac for the new owner, a friend of mine... totally satisfied... :D i sold it cause of the missing gpu power... thats why i ordered the new one few days ago.

Last edited:

CTMoore

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
sounds great!

but doesnt it look blurry at 1080p (considering the 27" screen)?

on my old 2011 imac 6770m 512MB all games looket like cr** when below 1440p (bad downscaling) :(

do you use MSI afterburner? on 780m people overclocked to gpu +200 and ram +300 and gain +10-20fps

btw :D whats your steam name :D

i sold the 2011 yesterday... it`s the first mac for the new owner, a friend of mine... totally satisfied... :D i sold it cause of the missing gpu power... thats why i ordered the new one few days ago.

It looks fine to me in 1080. You have to remember that DayZ SA is woefully unoptimized and is in Alpha so as things improve it'll probably run better.

Edit: Cerberus30

pscl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
It looks fine to me in 1080. You have to remember that DayZ SA is woefully unoptimized and is in Alpha so as things improve it'll probably run better.

Edit: Cerberus30

yeah... ur right... on my rmbp it looks actually very good at 1080p... but the screen is much smaller...

Dudethatlights

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2014
How did the mid 2011 iMac run dayz if you played it on one? I can't afford anything else right now and I was just wondering if it is playable , even on Low because I noticed the graphics card was a little low. Thanks :)

pscl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
How did the mid 2011 iMac run dayz if you played it on one? I can't afford anything else right now and I was just wondering if it is playable , even on Low because I noticed the graphics card was a little low. Thanks :)

i never played it on my 2011 imac... i think the 6770m 512MB is just too bad for DayZ.

do you have the 6790m 1GB upgrade?

pscl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
I just compared the minimum graphics card for Dayz which is AMD Radeon HD 3830 Whereas I have the AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB, I compared them on http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/inde...ompare=radeon-hd-3830-vs-radeon-hd-6750-512mb
which said that my graphics card is slightly better,just wondering if these means anthing?

i really dont know.

dayz is in alpha... and this means the whole game is poorly optimized. i guess maybe you nee to give it a try.

but dont expect too much. i think it will run pretty bad.

carlili4190

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
I'm currently playing on an early 2011 MacBook Pro. It's a 2.3ghz i7 with the 1024mb 6750m. Game runs great on all settings on low. It could run on higher settings but honestly I don't mind playing on low.

spowapower

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2014
Do you guys run it through bootcamp or parallels? I'm trying through parallels but so far no luck. I think because I'm using XP instead of Windows 7 or 8 maybe?

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
from the sounds of reviews of the alpha, its tough enough to get it running right on a dedicated windows 7/8 machine. Going through parallels to XP doesnt seem like it would work

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Do you guys run it through bootcamp or parallels? I'm trying through parallels but so far no luck. I think because I'm using XP instead of Windows 7 or 8 maybe?

You need to be using Boot Camp if you want to play a game like this.

To the OP: I've not tried it on my new iMac (in sig) but I have played it on a late 2012 3.4GHz i7 with the 680MX. As mentioned, the game is terribly optimised at the moment and I'm not sure how much better it's going to get seeing as the engine it's built on is pretty poor. Regardless, at 2560x1440 I got anywhere from 40-70 fps in some areas but once I got to the big cities it was dropping into the 20-30 fps region. I believe this is because the game currently renders all textures within x distance. In the DayZ development blog I think they mentioned that this will eventually change. The settings were all set around normal IIRC but I remember trying changing a few and nothing was happening (pre-alpha, I guess). I'll try it on the new iMac (780M) when I get chance. It'll be better as that machine is better in every way than the previous one I tried, but I don't expect much with a game like DayZ.

All that performance aside, I absolutely love the game and I hope they keep pushing with improvements! :)

Last edited:

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I play it in bootcamp on a 2011 MBP at 1680x1050. All settings have to be low if I want to play at native resolution and get playable frames. It's a great game until you get sniped from out of no where :p

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I assume Day Z is different/better than the Day Z Arma 3 mod? I don't know I've not played it in Arma 3 either. Just wondering if that is an option.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I have both DayZ and Arma III and I feel like they run pretty much the same. Let's hope the new rendering engine that Bohemia have been promising for so long is released soon. As far as I know, right now, all objects within a certain distance of the character are rendered - including those out of sight inside buildings - and that's why performance drops so much when you're in a big city. Even the best gaming PCs struggle with this. Let's hope this gets sorted because DayZ is so much fun. That said, I played about 5 hours earlier this week with some friends and 3 times within that session we were killed by hackers (people hiding inside walls, under the map, etc.).

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have both DayZ and Arma III and I feel like they run pretty much the same. Let's hope the new rendering engine that Bohemia have been promising for so long is released soon. As far as I know, right now, all objects within a certain distance of the character are rendered - including those out of sight inside buildings - and that's why performance drops so much when you're in a big city. Even the best gaming PCs struggle with this. Let's hope this gets sorted because DayZ is so much fun. That said, I played about 5 hours earlier this week with some friends and 3 times within that session we were killed by hackers (people hiding inside walls, under the map, etc.).

Thanks for the info. I just have to figure out how to put Day Z in Arma 3...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.