Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChiMon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
I'm a new MAC user as of Jan. '05. I'm currently setting up a business and would like to run it on the MAC platform. Unfortunately, a couple of the applications that are critical to the business are PC only apps. To complicate things, I have two offices I work out of.

I'm currently working on a 20" iMac Intel Duo and am thinking about a MacBook Pro.

It sounds like Virtual PC is not an option on my Intel Duo machine and WinTel and Q are not ready for prime time. Any suggestions on how I can operate immediately, while we wait for the emulation software to evolve stabilize?

Thanks in advance.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Here are some options:

1. Get a PC.

2. Install Windows on your Mac.

3. Tell us what software you are using and maybe we know some alternatives.

ChiMon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
grapes911 said:
Did you even click on the link?

It takes some work, so don't expect it to be easy.

Sorry, I missed the link. I don't mind the work and long as it doesn't become a second job.

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
CanadaRAM said:
...Not a responsible recommendation for a first time Mac user.

It sounds like exactly what he needs, so I was just trying to offer helpful advice. After all, it's not like he's eliminating OS X by doing this.

Steve

ChiMon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Steve1496 said:
It sounds like exactly what he needs, so I was just trying to offer helpful advice. After all, it's not like he's eliminating OS X by doing this.

Steve
Thanks for the link. This option looks perfect, however the instructions in the Wiki look very involved for a neophyte. CanadaRAM's caution makes me wonder if this is something I should try with my limited knowledge!?

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
ChiMon said:
Thanks for the link. This option looks perfect, however the instructions in the Wiki look very involved for a neophyte. CanadaRAM's caution makes me wonder if this is something I should try with my limited knowledge!?
It's probably not something you should venture into. Tell us the apps you need and we will let you know of Mac alternatives that do the same thing.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Steve1496 said:
Steve
The solution involves hacking the firmware, is unsupported, and the OP already said they didn't consider other existing emulators to be stable enough.
It also involves erasing all the Mac data on the hard drive and reinstalling after the new partition scheme has been installed.

It may be something that an experienced Mac user can try if they have a non-mission-critical Mac that they are willing to erase and try this on. I think you assume that this new Mac user is unrealistically close to your own skill level and tolerance for risk.

instructions in the Wiki look very involved for a neophyte
Precisely. I do not recommend that an inexperienced Mac user try this level of hack on their brand new Apple machine, when for $400 you can get a basic Windows box that will probably run the specific software you need.

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
ChiMon said:

It does look very confusing at first, but if you follow the Step-by-Step instructions, those are perfect for newer users. It basically consists of making an XP CD that has some modified files in it, setting a file to load when your computer starts, and then installing XP.

Steve

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
CanadaRAM said:
The solution involves hacking the firmware, is unsupported, and the OP already said they didn't consider other existing emulators to be stable enough.

In no way do you modify the computers firmware.

Steve

ChiMon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Benjamindaines said:
It's probably not something you should venture into. Tell us the apps you need and we will let you know of Mac alternatives that do the same thing.

The software applications are professional Financial Planning software applications. I checked with the major vendors to see if they had MAC versions before I switched to MAC and unfortunately none of them do.

ChiMon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Steve1496 said:
He already stated he doesn't consider Q ready for primetime yet.

Steve

My opinion that Q is not ready for prime time is based on other posts in the forum. I checked out the web site and it looks like a good and simple solution.

What are the pros and cons of Q vs. running XP natively? Does anyone have extensive experience with Q? Is it reliable enough to use as a core part of a business environment?

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
ChiMon said:
My opinion that Q is not ready for prime time is based on other posts in the forum. I checked out the web site and it looks like a good and simple solution.

What are the pros and cons of Q vs. running XP natively? Does anyone have extensive experience with Q? Is it reliable enough to use as a core part of a business environment?

Q is very good for being an alpha right now. It works fine for Windows XP/2000, but does have some odd little bugs that need to be fixed. The kqemu kext module is being developed and looks like it will be very good (kext is a virtualizer)--so expect speed to drastically increase.

Running Windows XP natively, contrary to what CanadaRAM and Benjamindaines have said, is actually not extremely complicated. You cannot brick your Mac doing it, because you do not modify the firmware. The only real downside is video drivers not yet working so video and games are a little slow, but a huge amount of effort is being put into this. There are helper applications to make it easier too, such as XOMHelper (which automatically set the proper bootfiles for you).

Steve

ChiMon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Steve1496 said:
Q is very good for being an alpha right now. It works fine for Windows XP/2000, but does have some odd little bugs that need to be fixed. The kqemu kext module is being developed and looks like it will be very good (kext is a virtualizer)--so expect speed to drastically increase.

Running Windows XP natively, contrary to what CanadaRAM and Benjamindaines have said, is actually not extremely complicated. You cannot brick your Mac doing it, because you do not modify the firmware. The only real downside is video drivers not yet working so video and games are a little slow, but a huge amount of effort is being put into this. There are helper applications to make it easier too, such as XOMHelper (which automatically set the proper bootfiles for you).

Steve

One last question (I think): It sounds like running XP natively is going to be the best long term solution. If I purchase a new MacBook Pro and try to configure it to run XP natively, and I cannot get it set up properly, how hard will it be to re-install the original operating system so it is like new?

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
ChiMon said:
One last question (I think): It sounds like running XP natively is going to be the best long term solution. If I purchase a new MacBook Pro and try to configure it to run XP natively, and I cannot get it set up properly, how hard will it be to re-install the original operating system so it is like new?

Put the CD in the drive and hold down the C button during startup. That will bring you to Mac OSX Installer, and from there is a fully graphical setup. You just click on where you want to install OSX.

Steve

ChiMon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Steve1496 said:
Put the CD in the drive and hold down the C button during startup. That will bring you to Mac OSX Installer, and from there is a fully graphical setup. You just click on where you want to install OSX.

Steve

I'll try it. Thanks everyone for your advice. I appreciate it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.