Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rydawg96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
So im basically trying to convert my VHS tapes to digital finally, and been searching for the right capture device for conversion. Wile I do have an Intensity Shuttle, it doesn't work well for tape capture cause it doesn't contain a TBC built in and doesn't even work with M1 Macs despite having the benefit of Thunderbolt and being able to capture in uncompressed and ProRes formats. I also had a Vidbox a long time ago for Windows but it had very poor quality with low bitrates and also seemingly a lack of a TBC (although no constant blackouts like the Intensity Shuttle). I eventually came across vintage Firewire DV capture cards, which usually have TBCs in them and I heard they still work well on modern Macs despite using FireWire and the DV codec. After noticing that the Canopus cards tend to go for higher prices than even a Thunderbolt intensity shuttle, I eventually came across a Dazzle Hollywood DV bridge complete in the box with all the cables and manuals for a whopping 99 cents (plus $15 shipping). The question is, how good is this capture device compared with other FireWire DV options? Does the device have a TBC for correction of worn out tapes? Is the picture quality good enough compared to the Canopus devices everyone else raves about?

fisha

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2006
A quick read around suggests that it doesn't have a TBC, which puts the end quality dependent on how well the VHS source gives out a signal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.