Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
So are these skins fairly easy to install? I am a really good screen protector installer so I’m thinking I can do a nice job with the skin especially since it’s not clear.
Do these skins interfere with the keyboard magnetic connection? Does the iPad still hold tightly?

I ordered mine this past week. Excited to get them as I think it’ll be the best combination for me. Lightest iPad when not on the keyboard and still some scratch protection.

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
So are these skins fairly easy to install? I am a really good screen protector installer so I’m thinking I can do a nice job with the skin especially since it’s not clear.
Do these skins interfere with the keyboard magnetic connection? Does the iPad still hold tightly?

I ordered mine this past week. Excited to get them as I think it’ll be the best combination for me. Lightest iPad when not on the keyboard and still some scratch protection.
Yes they’re super easy to install. And because it’s not clear, you won’t obsess with any dust or lint that might be trapped. The skin has cut outs for the magnetic connection and does not affect the attachment of the iPad to the keyboard.

alexcue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
What skin did you get? Can you share some pics?
Sorry, I’m too dense to figure out how to post them. I got the Carbon fiber for MKB, and stone for the iPP. Fit is perfect, mind you i have skins for the Air and the 11” iPP. So I had a little practice. The only thing i needed was to borrow the GF’s blow dryer to “melt” the skin into the indentation of the Apple. Looks great

It’s very easy to put on, just look at the dBrand vids. So far all have been perfect that I’ve used. The Air has the frame coated too. I went cheap as the Gold Rose? Was on sale, so I had to cover it up for my taste. It’s just a spare for the bedroom, but I like to keep them in good shape.

Oh and to your question, no effect on the magnets at all. Those magnets are strong and the skin is pretty thin, but definitely makes a nice protection and looks difference. It’s funny you couldn’t tell it’s a Space Grey anymore (other than the frame).

Yandawg

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2019
Does anyone happen to have the dbrand skin on their 2021 IPP 12.9 with a 4th gen smart folio attached? I just have a 4th gen smart folio(no keyboard) and I know it is a little bit tighter since the 5th gen IPP gained .5mm of thickness. Just want to ensure that everything will still fit alright with the minimal addition of the back skin and frame skin.

Feisar

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
Can’t decide which one to use first - matte white or white carbon fiber

e617ab8f0f6fd21035df4d1c8942abcb.jpg

Trvlngnrs

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Just received an email, the Black Dragon skin for my 11" shipped, should be here in 8 business days (Toronto to Utah).

Snapperjw

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
FedEx have lost my order. it was due to be delivered on 26th May ( I’m in the UK ). Tracking site showed it was down for delivery by 12pm. Nothing arrived, now they are saying it didn’t leave the US and are currently trying to locate it ??

So FedEx are STILL trying to find out order which is somewhere in their Memphis hub. Get this they are blaming Winter Storms for the delay.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I just installed the faux white leather Dbrand skin on my IPP 11 inch. I thought it might be a tricky installation. Last time I installed a skin was back on my IPP 9.7 inch. That had the rounded corners and was much harder to get aligned correctly - especially those rounded corners. Plus that one was a see through one so I had to be super careful about any minute particles of dust as they would be seen. This squared off edges iPad with the back and side skins being separate along with the solid color made it a breeze to install. Super happy with this skin!

Feisar

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
Finally found some time to install the dbrand MGK skin and decided to go with white carbon fiber first. Absolutely love the texture and extra grip it provides.

Easy to install and looks quite lovely.
5cf19895782c0469fabb32db1a991224.jpg

b0071a94c40217c4ad08a2aac8c5345b.jpg

HerbertDerb

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2017
My order is still in Memphis Tennessee, in less than 18 hours it should be at my doorstep 7730km away, here in Finland....
I'm sceptical, but if FedEx can pull that off it would be awesome ?

LadyCiel

macrumors member
May 31, 2011
Anybody get and apply a DBrand skin for the new 11" iPP? The frame pieces went on easily and hit all the cutouts and buttons perfectly. The back wasn't so simple. I had to fiddle and stretch it vertically to get it to fall around both the camera and the 3 connector dots. In the end it's mostly ok - the camera cutout isn't really centered and the top/bottom edges have a bigger border than I expected - but I thought that DBrand was known for their precision. Mostly just wondering if I got a bad copy or if there is a general issue with the fit on the new 11". I got the pastel purple color, if that matters, and tried to follow the approach in their video.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Anybody get and apply a DBrand skin for the new 11" iPP? The frame pieces went on easily and hit all the cutouts and buttons perfectly. The back wasn't so simple. I had to fiddle and stretch it vertically to get it to fall around both the camera and the 3 connector dots. In the end it's mostly ok - the camera cutout isn't really centered and the top/bottom edges have a bigger border than I expected - but I thought that DBrand was known for their precision. Mostly just wondering if I got a bad copy or if there is a general issue with the fit on the new 11". I got the pastel purple color, if that matters, and tried to follow the approach in their video.
I got the white leather one for my 11 inch IPP 2021. Mine was an easy installation and the back went on fine. Someone mentioned on this forum to align the 3 magnets first and that worked fine for me. The camera skin cutout isn’t exactly precise but i don’t notice it unless I look for it.

LadyCiel

macrumors member
May 31, 2011
I got the white leather one for my 11 inch IPP 2021. Mine was an easy installation and the back went on fine. Someone mentioned on this forum to align the 3 magnets first and that worked fine for me. The camera skin cutout isn’t exactly precise but i don’t notice it unless I look for it.
hmm, even after I flipped it around and did the magnets first, I had to tug and stretch with some real effort to get around the camera.

xenoako

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2021
My 12.9" carbon fiber 2021 MKB skin arrived yesterday and was in place by the end of the day. I did not, however, use DBrand to replace the MKB ring for the cameras. Also, using a hair dryer for the Apple symbol may have left an imperfect result.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.