Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I have heard some rumors about DDR suppoted motherbords and the possibility of them being in the next G4 tower. Has any one heard this too? I dont know Too much about DDR RAM but from what I have read about the PIII and P4 motherbords that support DDR are much faster than P133 supported MB's Bus speeds are something that Apples have allways been top dog in .... can any one conferm this rumor? I would really like it to be true.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
Sorry that I cannot CONFIRM the rumor, but I have heard conflicting reports on it. I have heard that Mac OS X has the ability to work on many other processor and motherboard archetectures (not Intel's because their's are crappy in math operations). This may lead to more designs oportunities for Apple to look into, so I wouldn't be suprised if in January they start including many other companies' hardware in the towers. I serously doubt that it will be as soon as July, though, because OS 9 is still too dominant.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Latency

I have heard that when using high speed RAM like DDR, there is some latency. Overall the profromance is mauch better but there is some lag at the beggining of number chunching. Any tech people know why or can tell me I am wrong. I know that Processor speeds are getting to fast for Bus speeds and RAM speeds. And we are begining to see wasted MHz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.