Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2011
London
My 2020 MacBook Pro is no longer charging.

Today I was video editing, battery was low. I plugged it in, charged for 30min then it stopped charging. Yes, I have tried all USB ports and different wall sockets in the house. All other gadgets and electronics work fine.

FYI it got a new topcase in May last year because the left speaker was blown.

Has anyone had a similar issue out of warranty? If so what did you do?

The reliability is shocking given that my 2012 MPB Retina has been bullet proof and still works faultlessly today.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2011
London
So you've restarted it and reset the SMC?
It was dead. No battery and not charging.

Surprise. Just about to go to bed. Now it's charging for the first time in 6 hours.

What should I do? Diagnose the battery? Reset something? Just backed up a few files incase the laptop dies over night.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Yes, I have tried all USB ports and different wall sockets in the house.

You are not saying, so I will have to assume you have also tried a different charger.
If you live in the EU your mac is still under warranty so my suggestion is to take it to Apple.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
So you mean you couldn't start it even plugged in.

Backup is certainly a good idea. I'd reset the SMC, and the idea about taking it to Apple is always a good one if it's convenient. They'll give you a free diagnosis.

If you want to run diagnostics:

Reactions: Macalicious2011

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2011
London
Just an update on what happened and how my 2020 Intel MacBook Pro 16 inch is currently performing.

-I was charging and using my laptop.
-It then all of a sudden stopped charging but was still functional.
-Once the battery was low and depleted I plugged it un again but it was not charging nor powering on.
-I kept trying different wall plugs and different thunderbolt ports with no success.
-Then I left the laptop plugged in and untouched for 6 hours. It then worked again and has not had issues for 3 days.
-As recommended above, I have reset SMC just in case.

Needless to say, the experience was a distressing scare because my laptop is out of warranty and even if it was, booking and taking it to an apple store is a chore.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Reactions: Sanpete
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.