Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kerver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
Hi all!

I'm a newbie to the forum and to mac stuff.....not sure if this is the right place to post this....

Anyways...I have a 2g 16gb ipod touch....It worked fine. I always ran the battery dead before I would recharge it. Well I ran it dead the other day and now haven't been able to charge it. It does nothing. The computer doesn't recognize it or itunes or anything. There's no sign of life what so ever. I've tried plugging it into the computer and to a docking station. Its dead, dead, dead!! It looks kinda like the power button is stuck in too.....Is this a battery issue or if the button is stuck would that be causing the problem or is it just fried? i'm tried putting it into recovery mode or whatever its called where you press the home and power button...I got nothing......but if the power button is stuck that could be why....dunno. Do you???

Thanks for any and all help or info!!!

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2009
When you tried to put it in recovery, did you hold the sleep button for 3 seconds, then without releasing the sleep button simultaneously hold the home button for 10 seconds, then release the sleep button and continue holding the home button for 15 seconds?

kerver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
yes and i just tried it again....seems like the sleep button is not working right or something....

any other suggestions?

kerver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
I've tried 2 cables and the ipod dock. I have an 2g 8gb ipod touch too and the cords and everything works with it.....havn't tried any other computers though.

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2009
Hmmm... I may be out of ideas mate... It's starting to sound like a repair of some kind may be in order.

kerver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
I feel confident that i can take it apart if need be. Just need some ideas on what maybe needs changed.

Would the fact that the power/sleep button is not functioning properly cause the ipod to be unresponsive?

Do i just need to replace the battery?

I had someone do a simple power test and it gave no sign of power when touching the little power strip.....

Wompa244

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2011
USA
I feel confident that i can take it apart if need be. Just need some ideas on what maybe needs changed.

Would the fact that the power/sleep button is not functioning properly cause the ipod to be unresponsive?

Do i just need to replace the battery?

I had someone do a simple power test and it gave no sign of power when touching the little power strip.....
:apple:I would suspect the broken power button is the problem, it seems as if it's stuck in the off position. The only solution i can think of if thats the problem is to take it apart and release the power button from the inside.:apple:
[WARNING] DO AT YOUR OWN RISK

kerver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
If the power button is stuck in the off position then I guess it would make sense that it wouldn't work in the ipod dock.....

However...wouldn't it do at least something being plugged into the sync cord and computer? Or would everything just be dead until I get that button unstuck?

I guess starting with getting the button unstuck would be the first place to start....was just thinking if I have it all apart and it needs a new battery or something I could do that at the same time but yeah....

Thank you!

Any other thoughts are very much welcome!!

kerver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
I took it apart...nothing helped..made it worse....so i sold it on ebay....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.