Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
Last week I was cleaning the display on my 2021 16" a bit, and I noticed a grey/dark spot at the top right. I thought this was just dirt, but I soon realised something was wrong when it didn't go away with wiping... I have a hard time capturing it with my iPhone camera since it just freaks out trying to focus on the display, but it's noticeable against white and green backgrounds when I test it. It doesn't look anywhere near as bad as the examples in here, but something is definitely off with it and the immediate area. As if it's lost some of its brightness?

I don't notice it if I don't look at it against bright backgrounds, but it really sucks to see on a not even 2 year old device... Is there anyone else who's experienced this? And is there any point in going to my local Apple Store without warranty?

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
Now I actually seem to have a stuck/dead pixel in one spot, either I missed it or it came after I created this thread...

Does anyone know how screen repairs are done in Apple Stores? Do they wipe your Mac or just replace the screen?

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
On my 2017 they replaced the screen. No wipe, it was sent for repairs and was back in 3 days, I believe. You can always ask them, they will tell you ahead.
But you should have backup anyway - something can happen in shipping or manipulation - and have File vault enabled to protect your data.

Reactions: ThatSomeone

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
I got the screen replaced for free thanks to EU consumer law!

But now a pixel on the replacement screen is stuck as red that wasn't there when I picked it up... How is that even possible? Or do I just have extremely bad luck with these displays?

EDIT: Another one appeared...?

Last edited:

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
The replacement screen was somehow even worse off than the initial one I had, two stuck red pixels versus a dead one+dark spot. But they obviously had it replaced again, and now everything is finally as it should :)

I thought I'd mark this as resolved if anyone comes across this in the future, these Mini-LED displays seem to have some issues.. Not the first device with a Mini-LED display with a stuck pixel that I've had.

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
The replacement screen was somehow even worse off than the initial one I had, two stuck red pixels versus a dead one+dark spot. But they obviously had it replaced again, and now everything is finally as it should :)

I thought I'd mark this as resolved if anyone comes across this in the future, these Mini-LED displays seem to have some issues.. Not the first device with a Mini-LED display with a stuck pixel that I've had.

That’s unfortunate. You seem to have gotten pretty unlucky. I’ve had 3 Apple Silicon 16” MacBook Pros without any screen issues and my wife has had 1 Apple Silicon 16” MacBook Pro and the 15” Air. No screen issues on all 5 MacBooks other than key prints due to the extremely tight tolerances.

On the flip side. I had dead pixels on the very first retina 15” MacBook Pros from 2012 and also on the 2013 15”. Luckily it’s been smooth sailing since.

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
That’s unfortunate. You seem to have gotten pretty unlucky. I’ve had 3 Apple Silicon 16” MacBook Pros without any screen issues and my wife has had 1 Apple Silicon 16” MacBook Pro and the 15” Air. No screen issues on all 5 MacBooks other than key prints due to the extremely tight tolerances.

On the flip side. I had dead pixels on the very first retina 15” MacBook Pros from 2012 and also on the 2013 15”. Luckily it’s been smooth sailing since.
Yeah I was really unlucky there, first time I've ever had to send in an Apple device for repair. Luckily the staff at my local store were phenomenal, top-tier experience. Happy to hear you guys had no issues! That's the downside of glossy displays, they look great but they are so sensitive to prints and dust...

My old mid-2015 rMBP had a stuck white pixel, but I didn't notice it until ~5 years later. But the quotes for out-of-warranty replacement screens on these things are eye watering.. ~$1000 before the consumer rights "discount" on my quotes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.