Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CheeseBread365

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
So I was using the uninstaller for leopard rebirth, when I accidentally deleted the file it was restoring from mid-process. the computer acted all weird and it would launch applications. It wouldn't even launch the apple menu.. so I did a hard shutdown, and now it wont get past the apple logo there is still a chime, and all seems normal. but it never gets past the apple logo the with spinning loading circle.

help? I don't have a reinstall disk, and i cant make one because a g3 is my only working mac and I don't have and double layer DVDs.
[doublepost=1506304326][/doublepost]I seen no one has responded to this. Does anyone want to help me?

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Go to Macintosh Garden and download the Tiger CDs. You can then burn them with your G3. Tiger will work on all G5s, so it can act as a stopgap while you go out and buy dual layer DVDs for Leopard.

TenFourFox works on Tiger too, so you'll be fine for Internet browsing in the meantime as well.

Good luck to you.

PS: It's not that people don't want to help you, it's that either they haven't seen your question, or are busy researching ways to fix your predicament. Give it a day or so for the replies to come rolling in. That's what I always do.

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
Time to get a Firewire disk and make it a bootable restore disk ;)
I have one 120gb disk that is partitioned as follows:
8gb Leopard installer
7 GB Tiger installer
40gb working leopard
40gb working tiger
Rest is installers for apps

If I kill any of my systems, I have an immediate backup computer from which I can restore the working copy or make a clean install.
And I don't have DoubleLayer problems...

If you don't want to use a FW disk then z970mp's solution is the recommended one

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
You PROBABLY need to do an archive and install, but it's worth trying to salvage your current install.

Boot into single user mode by holding "Command+S" starting from right after you turn the computer on until you see a black screen with text rolling down it.

When you see a prompt, type fsck -fy . The computer will go through a series of steps, and it may take a while(several minutes). When it finishes, you may either see "The volume appears okay" or may see "FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED." If you see the latter, do fsck -fy again and keep doing it until you no longer see the "FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED" message. Then, type reboot and see if you can get it booted.

If the system still hangs(or hangs when booting to single user mode) boot in verbose mode by holding command+V. The gray screen should briefly flash, and then you will again see rolling white text on a black screen. Take a photograph of the text where it hangs and post it here.

Reactions: Mac03ForLife

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
*** Always Backup your Mac ***

So I was using the uninstaller for leopard rebirth, when I accidentally deleted the file it was restoring from mid-process. the computer acted all weird and it would launch applications.

Yes. That would certainly cause a problem! I feel partly responsible for your broken OS.

The uninstaller has a very basic safety net, but I didn't factor in that... (With great power comes great responsibility!)

I plan to port the codebase back to Tiger for a "TigerSierra Remover" shortly and I'll put in a lock to prevent unmounting/deleting while the uninstallation is in progress. (Thanks for uncovering this shortcoming!)

How things are operating behind the scenes;

1. First, LeopardRebirth Remover will copy the file from the restore point across to the system, putting the file in the correct destination folder and appending the file name with .restoreFromLR. This "atomic" copy ensures we don't overwrite the destination file without first confirming the byte size of the copy matches the restore source file.
2. Once confirmed that the copy was successful, the system file is deleted
3. Once deletion is confirmed, the .restoreFromLR extension is removed from the file name to lock it in.

I am just taking a guess, but perhaps one of these steps became unstuck.

Try this:

Boot into single-user mode as @bunnspecial recommended and check that the following 4 files exist:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ArtFile.bin
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SArtFile.bin
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras.rsrc
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras2.rsrc

(Confirm the files exist with ls /path/to/file - hit the Tab key to auto-complete as you are beginning to type out each of the path sub-directory names).

These resource files are critical for the OS to boot. If any of these files exist with a .restoreFromLR extension, then rename the file, removing the extension:

e.g.
Code:
mv /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ArtFile.bin.restoreFromLR /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ArtFile.bin

Then exit or reboot to leave single user mode.

Once you boot back to your desktop, mount the LRRRestoreResource.dmg bundled with LeopardRebirth Remover and run through the uninstallation again. Let it run through without touching anything and then reboot.

All should then be A OK.

-- If the resource files are missing, then the options are:

1. Reinstall from an installation disc.
2. Put the Power Mac into Target Disk Mode and mount the boot volume on another Mac's desktop, then manually restore those four files from the other Mac (only if they are running the same System version e.g. 10.5.8)
3. If you have a Time Machine backup of before you ran the uninstallation, you can use that to restore the specific resource files, or simply do a complete Time Machine restore.

*** Always Backup your Mac ***
[doublepost=1506321129][/doublepost]Option 4 would be to manually restore the files from the LRRRestoreResource.dmg image when your G5's boot volume is mounted via TDM on another Mac. This can include a non-PowerPC Mac which has a FireWire port (such as a MBP '15 or similar with a Lightning->FW adapter or an earlier MB/MBP/Mini/MP with a FW800 or 400 port).

If any other ideas pop into my head, I'll post it up. Someone else might have something to contribute? (e.g. can single-user mode see files on a USB stick? I've never tried)

Last edited:
Reactions: z970 and G4fanboy

Mac03ForLife

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2017
Washington, DC
Grab a new HDD, take the old G3, and use Disk Utility to format it in the appropriate way for a mac (I think its Journaled, HFS+) but dont quote me. Then, grab an install disk for Tiger/Panther (either one will do) and install as usual. Then, go ahead and do whatever you were going to do with the computer. It should work. Be sure to make a couple of disks after you finish though, as you may run into this problem again sometime in the future

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Grab a new HDD, take the old G3, and use Disk Utility to format it in the appropriate way for a mac (I think its Journaled, HFS+) but dont quote me. Then, grab an install disk for Tiger/Panther (either one will do) and install as usual. Then, go ahead and do whatever you were going to do with the computer. It should work. Be sure to make a couple of disks after you finish though, as you may run into this problem again sometime in the future

Not all G5s can boot from Panther.

That's why I recommended Tiger. 10.4 also has better Internet browsing capabilities than Panther.

CheeseBread365

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
My g3 is in bad shape accually. The thing won't connect to the internet and it has mac os 9 not 9.1 or 9.2, 9. When I try to connect it to the internet, it just gives me an error when I try to open links. Ithe will do Google searches though. And I'm pretty sure the lot loading drive is broken
[doublepost=1506462596][/doublepost]I got it new accually. And I used it with jaguar. I think. But then I wondering what operating system was on the reinstall disks it came with so I used them. And I haven't been able to upgrade to tiger ot anything else, as I'm pretty sure the drive is broken. I did get it to read a Panther disk, but it just said the disk needed to be formated. I think I used a g4 to make the disk, but I'm not positive about that. All I know about the original operating system it had when I bought it is that it had safari. It's a 2000 DV model

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
My g3 is in bad shape accually. The thing won't connect to the internet and it has mac os 9 not 9.1 or 9.2, 9. When I try to connect it to the internet, it just gives me an error when I try to open links. Ithe will do Google searches though. And I'm pretty sure the lot loading drive is broken
[doublepost=1506462596][/doublepost]I got it new accually. And I used it with jaguar. I think. But then I wondering what operating system was on the reinstall disks it came with so I used them. And I haven't been able to upgrade to tiger ot anything else, as I'm pretty sure the drive is broken. I did get it to read a Panther disk, but it just said the disk needed to be formated. I think I used a g4 to make the disk, but I'm not positive about that. All I know about the original operating system it had when I bought it is that it had safari. It's a 2000 DV model

Did you get Leopard on your G5 back up and running?

Reactions: z970

CheeseBread365

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
Did you try the suggestions about booting into single user mode?
i will now
[doublepost=1506542273][/doublepost]its saying something about the login windows missing. im going to take some pictures real quick
[doublepost=1506542692][/doublepost]

[doublepost=1506542745][/doublepost]

[doublepost=1506542804][/doublepost]

[doublepost=1506542837][/doublepost]this isnt working its telling me to put in the image url
[doublepost=1506543057][/doublepost]20170927_155639
20170927_155651[1].jpg
20170927_155644[1].jpg
20170927_155655[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20170927_155639[1].jpg
    20170927_155639[1].jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 138

CheeseBread365

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
i will now
[doublepost=1506542273][/doublepost]its saying something about the login windows missing. im going to take some pictures real quick
[doublepost=1506542692][/doublepost]

[doublepost=1506542745][/doublepost]

[doublepost=1506542804][/doublepost]

[doublepost=1506542837][/doublepost]this isnt working its telling me to put in the image url
[doublepost=1506543057][/doublepost]20170927_155639 View attachment 721680 View attachment 721678 View attachment 721681
i posted the error with my g5? has anyone seen this? its been like 4 hours

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017

I've seen it, but I don't know anything about what it's displaying, so I'm waiting for somebody else more knowledgeable to respond to it, like @bunnspecial, perhaps.

...One thing I am known for is honesty. I must tell you that.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017

While you were biting your fingernails in anticipation, I was blissfully sleeping. So good morning from down under! I'm now onto my second mug of strong coffee and ready to help.

Your screenshot points out exactly where the problem is.

Try this;

1. Boot again into Single User mode
2. Run: /sbin/fsck -fy and wait for it to finish
3. Run: /sbin/mount -uw / to mount the boot volume with read/write access
4. Run: ls /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow* --- (notice the asterisk/wildcard). If the output shows that there is a file named loginwindow.restoreFromLR, then;
5. Run: mv /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow.restoreFromLR /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow
6. Run: exit

To easily enter long path names, start typing (i.e "ls /Sys") - then hit Tab to auto-complete, repeat this for each directory in the path instead of trying to type it out in full. This helps to prevent typos.

Once booted to the desktop, mount the LRRRestoreResource.dmg again and run the LeopardRebirth Remover uninstallation through again without interrupting the process. Reboot and all should be well.

If, the .restoreFromLR file does not exist, then you'll need to TDM mount your G5 on another mac and manually restore the loginwindow binary from the LRRRestoreResource.dmg

Good luck!

CheeseBread365

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
While you were biting your fingernails in anticipation, I was blissfully sleeping. So good morning from down under! I'm now onto my second mug of strong coffee and ready to help.

Try this;

4. Run: ls /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow* --- (notice the asterisk/wildcard). If the output shows that there is a file named loginwindow.restoreFromLR, then;
5. Run: mv /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow.restoreFromLR /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow

To easily enter long path names, start typing (i.e "ls /Sys") - then hit Tab to auto-complete, repeat this for each directory in the path instead of trying to type it out in full. This helps to prevent typos.

Once booted to the desktop, mount the LRRRestoreResource.dmg again and run the LeopardRebirth Remover uninstallation through again without interrupting the process. Reboot and all should be well.

If, the .restoreFromLR file does not exist, then you'll need to TDM mount your G5 on another mac and manually restore the loginwindow binary from the LRRRestoreResource.dmg

Good luck!
ill try that
[doublepost=1506564658][/doublepost]

Try this;

Good luck!
it says the login window dosn't exist
[doublepost=1506564789][/doublepost]also, how do i TDM mount the g5 to another mac?

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Hold down T while turning the power on. If you have a screen connected, you will see the firewire logo bouncing around the screen when it's ready.

Connect a Firewire cable from one of the FW ports on the G5 to a FW port on another computer. The computer will be recognized as an external hard drive.

Reactions: AphoticD

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
You're being really impatient about this. I would really suggest to gain some patience, it's just downright rude to demand help on a forum within a rather small time span. You're going to eventually get no help at all if you keep that up. Everyone here likes to help eachother out when they can and when they have the time and knowledge to do so. But you have to remember, plenty of people on here have studies and jobs to attend to, and we don't all live in the same timezone either. And as far as I know, you're not paying us to help you out either, and jobs do, so they might have a bit of priority over your Mac problems ;)

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
You're being really impatient about this. I would really suggest to gain some patience, it's just downright rude to demand help on a forum within a rather small time span. You're going to eventually get no help at all if you keep that up. Everyone here likes to help eachother out when they can and when they have the time and knowledge to do so. But you have to remember, plenty of people on here have studies and jobs to attend to, and we don't live in the same timezone either. And as far as I know, you're not paying us to help you out either, and jobs do, so they might have a bit of priority over your Mac problems ;)

Let's see-speaking for myself...

The question was posted at 3:24pm local time to me, about the time I was involved in a minor crisis at work

I spent the next few hours dealing with that and then taking care of some other stuff. My time at the computer was spent sending some(work related) emails and typing up some documentation concerning events earlier in the day.

I left work at 7:30, about the time the "it's been four hours" begging came along, got home at 7:45, fixed and ate dinner, then had some work to take care of around home before I even looked at MR again.

That's not to say that I owe anyone on here a full accounting of just what I do in a day, but as you said for most of us our lives don't revolve around this forum and 4 hours would actually be a pretty short amount of time to get a response.

Reactions: z970 and AphoticD

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
on your red notice, it says to not reboot, and to run installer again. i tried that, but the G5 wouldnt lauch any programs or windows

...Perhaps it isn't supposed to when critical system files are being tampered with...

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Ok. In your G5’s case, I think a Leopard reinstall will be the best option.

Come to think of it... A Leopard reinstall would take less time than trying to fix it as is.

What a waste of time this was!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.