Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Hi there, I recently upgraded my aging G4 Quicksilver with the Radeo 9600 Pro PC/Mac card. It has been working fine for a month until yesterday.

I had been working with the machine for a while in Photoshop when I was about to check my email. To my surprise I could not connect to the network through my Airport. It could find no available networks at all, something taht's quite strange as I normally pick up at least 2-3 of my neighbours in adition to my own.

I figured a reboot was in order. Upon rebooting the machine the chime sounded like normally but no picture appeared. The monitor counted down from five like it normally does when looking for a signal followed by a completely black screen.

Hopefully it's just a bad connection but the fact that the Airport was faulting as well lead me to believe it could be a more serious problem. Any ideas?:(

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
NickFalk said:
Hi there, I recently upgraded my aging G4 Quicksilver with the Radeo 9600 Pro PC/Mac card. It has been working fine for a month until yesterday.

I had been working with the machine for a while in Photoshop when I was about to check my email. To my surprise I could not connect to the network through my Airport. It could find no available networks at all, something taht's quite strange as I normally pick up at least 2-3 of my neighbours in adition to my own.

I figured a reboot was in order. Upon rebooting the machine the chime sounded like normally but no picture appeared. The monitor counted down from five like it normally does when looking for a signal followed by a completely black screen.

Hopefully it's just a bad connection but the fact that the Airport was faulting as well lead me to believe it could be a more serious problem. Any ideas?:(

boot up with you panther dvd and run repair permissions. I suspect it is more likely a hard drive failure rather anything with your video card or airport. That would explain both problems if they were related, although it is entirely possible they aren't.

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Hi and thanks! Sounds like a good idea, but as I'm without any picture I'm not really able to do that, unless there's a keyboard sequence/shortcut?

Oh, and Tiger, not Panther.Full specs:
G4 Quicksilver
Powerlogix Dual 1,6Ghz G4
1,5 GB RAM
2 x 120 GB HD
Radeon 9600 Pro Mac/PC 256MB.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
NickFalk said:
Hi and thanks! Sounds like a good idea, but as I'm without any picture I'm not really able to do that, unless there's a keyboard sequence/shortcut?

Oh, and Tiger, not Panther.Full specs:
G4 Quicksilver
Powerlogix Dual 1,6Ghz G4
1,5 GB RAM
2 x 120 GB HD
Radeon 9600 Pro Mac/PC 256MB.

hrmm.. after put in the dvd reboot and hold the c down. I assume you have checked to make sure the monitor is plugged in all the way and you have the proper status lights. you still don't see anything, and hear the chime, your video card and for that matter your network card might be loose.

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Thanks again, I won't be home for another nine hours but will give your suggestions a try as soon as I can.

I did check the plug and the monitor normally displays a message when it can't find a signal, that's why I believe the problem lies with the graphic-card as it seems that the monitor is receiving some signal as it counts down before displaying, well nothing....

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Seems like the graphic card i sthe culprit. Booted allright into target-mode and was able to boot from the quicksilver's HD. Checked the disk ok and even booted from it without a hitch. Interesting enough the firewire symbol displayed ok when in target mode but I'm still not able to boot into the OS with an image on the QS. Anyone?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Pull the card and re-seat it.

I have the converted 9600 Pro from the G5 in my Quicksilver and have occasional problems after a power down where I get a gray or black screen. The machine is working (well, before it died, due to an unrelated problem) because I can manipulate it with the keyboard.

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Yup, that seemed to do the trick. Thanks a lot!
A bit strange though that it somehow got unseated by itself as the machine has been in the same spot all the time. Thanks anyway! :)

tweakers_suck

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
NickFalk said:
Seems like the graphic card i sthe culprit. Booted allright into target-mode and was able to boot from the quicksilver's HD. Checked the disk ok and even booted from it without a hitch. Interesting enough the firewire symbol displayed ok when in target mode but I'm still not able to boot into the OS with an image on the QS. Anyone?

Do you still have the original graphics card that came with your computer? I suggest giving that a try too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.