Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Not sure what could have happened, but the headphone jack on my iPod (5.5 gen/2006) has suddenly stopped sending output. However, it does detect when headphones are plugged in/unplugged via the diagnostics mode checks. I can also hear a little bit of static when changing the volume from low to max but no actual music.

Is this indicative of a board failure or has anyone seen a headphone jack replacement fix this issue? Everything is 100% original to the iPod, the 80GB HDD included (0 bad sectors even after 15 years of use!). Even the battery is still the OG and holds a charge. I'd consider popping it open to replace the headphone jack if there's a good chance that'll fix it, and may do the battery while I'm at it if there's a good brand out there.

Thanks in advance!

1624204207548.png

ntlman

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2005
Hello there: One other thing I would suggest to check just to confirm it is not a playback issue is to play a track off the device when it is synced with your Mac, but using iTunes on your Mac. If you're able to hear the track without issue on your Mac, then I think you can rule out playback OS issues.

Good luck! I bought an iPod 5.5 mod earlier this year off of eBay. I'm sure you could find plenty of folks there who could help you out.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Check with www.ifixit.com and look for repairs for your model iPod. There are lots of suggested fixes there including replacing the miniature hard drive and battery. But I suspect that repairing or replacing the headphone jack would require a new logic board. You can find parts for iPods on eBay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.