Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
2 days ago, my iBook G4 was working fine. The optical drive was acting up (occasional noises, having trouble ejecting discs) but no other problems. Then, suddenly, it stopped working. It simply does nothing when the power button is pressed. I have tried multiple outlets for the plug and it has sat, plugged in, for over 20 minutes. I have also tried booting with no battery. But it still does nothing. Any ideas on what to try? Thanks.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Do you have a lighted barrel adapter, and does it light up when you're plugged in? Another adapter is all I can think of to try...

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Do you have a lighted barrel adapter, and does it light up when you're plugged in? Another adapter is all I can think of to try...
I have the original charger. It lights up when plugged in. However, I am not using the original battery (but I do still have it around).

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
It looks like this requires the control key, which is broken on my iBook. I'll test with an external keyboard but not sure if it will work.
[doublepost=1477520124][/doublepost]
It looks like this requires the control key, which is broken on my iBook. I'll test with an external keyboard but not sure if it will work.
As far as I can tell it didn't work.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
[doublepost=1477520124][/doublepost]
As far as I can tell it didn't work.
I was afraid of that. Honestly, I didn't hold out much hope.

Sounds like the logicboard. But hopefully someone else can confirm or deny.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I was afraid of that. Honestly, I didn't hold out much hope.

Sounds like the logicboard. But hopefully someone else can confirm or deny.
Uh-oh. Maybe I'll try the original battery later (when I have the time to search for it). Probably won't help, but it's worth a shot, right?
Just checked the replacement battery in the iBook now, and it looks like it is charging. When I press the button on it to see the charge on the lights 2 of them light up with a third one flashing.

Reactions: eyoungren

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
if you take the battery out and plug in the charger, press the power button with battery out the machine should come to life.

If not you probably have hardware issues more than a bad battery. The ibook does not need the battery in to function.

Reactions: AmazingHenry

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I thought mine was dead for the longest time, it wouldn't even boot off the charger despite it lighting up orange as if it were charging when it in fact was not. Grabbed a generic one off Amazon and it sprung right to life. Been fine for a couple of years now. Go figure. Still on the original battery, RAM, and HDD running Tiger.

The sad part is that I practically never use it anymore since I've got an iPad, MBP and MBA laying around. I need to sell it or find someone who would use it.

RIP iBook, unless it ends up being the AC adapter or something simple by chance.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Good news! I removed the battery and unplugged the machine, then held down the power button for 5 seconds. Then I plugged it in again and pressed the power button. The iBook came right to life! :) As a test, I shut it down and put the battery back in, and it booted from just the battery! So it seems discharging internal circuits (that's what holding down the power button does, right?) did the trick. It makes me wonder what the problem was. Thanks @havokalien, you reminded me of this troubleshooting procedure that I use I'm very glad to have it back. This iBook is very important for me it's my second most used computer and the computer I test things on. It's also my only useable laptop. Thanks again everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.