Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
Hello,
today when I was cleaning my room, I found my old 6s plus and I tried plugging it into the wall.
Boot loops.
I tried putting it in dfu mode.
After restore, boot loops.

So i punched it (literally I started punching the thing) in the back like an old tv and the “low battery“ logo appeared.

it turned on after a bit.
activated, but won’t charge past 3%. It reboots constantly after few minutes.

now, this phone was diagnosed with a faulty motherboard, although never opened, and Apple refused to even attempt to look at it, just to swap with one new. I refused and decided to buy a new iPhone instead, storing this at home.
back in the days, Bluetooth did not work and neither connectivity but 2g.
now everything works, it connects to beats etc.

the only problem is that it won’t charge. Should I attempt a charging port replacement?
it could still be the logic board but...
what do you say?

kind regards

Attachments

• FDA4E298-18D0-4D66-BE78-C35DC3D066C6.jpeg
    FDA4E298-18D0-4D66-BE78-C35DC3D066C6.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 439

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Needs a replacement battery.

If you left it in the drawer for six or more months, the battery can become completely discharged to the point where it can no longer hold a charge.

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
Needs a replacement battery.

If you left it in the drawer for six or more months, the battery can become completely discharged to the point where it can no longer hold a charge.
Hello,
thank you for your answer.

back in the days it reached 0% and never turned on again, that’s why I left it in the drawer.

The charging problem was the last issue that made me give up on that phone (as I said it had Bluetooth problems and connectivity problems. It would restart randomly etc). One night I woke up with the phone saying 0% battery in charge and then boot loops all the time.

that’s why I suspect a charging port defect of some sort. Maybe also the motherboard has problems but the old ones now appear to have solved.

Diagnosed irreparable I stored it... but maybe I should attempt a repair to battery and/or charging port?

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
You could try a new battery but it seems more like Tristar failure to me. It's the USB IC on the motherboard, it controls charging also.

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
You could try a new battery but it seems more like Tristar failure to me. It's the USB IC on the motherboard, it controls charging also.
It is. Wasted money changing the battery at Apple. Will sell it on eBay as faulty. Thanks for the answer though!

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
It is. Wasted money changing the battery at Apple. Will sell it on eBay as faulty. Thanks for the answer though!
It shouldn't be expensive to replace. It is a fairly common motherboard repair that requires very little diagnostic work.

The 6S Plus is still supported by iOS updates so I'd give it a chance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.