Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsbaileymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
I followed the Bootcamp instructions to the letter creating a 32 GB partition for Windows XP on my new MAC PRO and a CD with Bootcamp stuff.

When I tried to install Windows XP, a response was needed at the blue screen: New install (enter), Repair (R) or F3 to exit. My keyboard was dead and if I tried to reboot, the CD with XP on it tried to install again – couldn’t get the CD out. The mouse was dead as well. Apple care was unable to help.

Has anyone had this problem? Should I have installed the CD that Bootcamp created before trying to install Window XP?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
jsbaileymac said:
I followed the Bootcamp instructions to the letter creating a 32 GB partition for Windows XP on my new MAC PRO and a CD with Bootcamp stuff.

When I tried to install Windows XP, a response was needed at the blue screen: New install (enter), Repair (R) or F3 to exit. My keyboard was dead and if I tried to reboot, the CD with XP on it tried to install again – couldn’t get the CD out. The mouse was dead as well. Apple care was unable to help.

Has anyone had this problem? Should I have installed the CD that Bootcamp created before trying to install Window XP?

I had the same problem -- on a MacBookPro and a MacPro.

Use a USB keyboard (non-BT) -- plug it into one of the USB ports.
Use a WIRED mouse (preferably not Mighty Mouse) -- plug it into one of the USB ports (not on the keyboard.)

That should do it. :)

jsbaileymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
carletonmusic said:
I had the same problem -- on a MacBookPro and a MacPro.

Use a USB keyboard (non-BT) -- plug it into one of the USB ports.
Use a WIRED mouse (preferably not Mighty Mouse) -- plug it into one of the USB ports (not on the keyboard.)

That should do it. :)

Thanks carletonmusic, but I'm a little confused. My Mac Pro already has a wired USB keyboard and there are no inputs for standard keyboards. What is (non-BT)? I do have another mouse that is wired USB - not might mouse; will that make a difference?

freezerburrn

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
La Habra, CA
hmm, I have the BT Mighty Mouse and keyboard combo and while using Boot Camp to install Windows XP, the keyboard worked all the way up until Windows was actually installed. Now I'm having trouble getting both the keyboard and mouse to work properly under windows.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
Mine stopped working immediately following the Mac device driver installation. Pretty frustrating...trying to reinstall now.

BadRambo

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
Had the same problem during early install attempts with my Mac Pro. The problem would occur on the first install screen during XP install --- my solution was to switch out the Apple keyboard, and use a PC keyboard, also USB. It worked --- crazy part is that since my first install, the Apple keyboard has worked fine --- mystery.

Good Luck -- Bob -- :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.