Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I'm not usually one to make artsy projects, but I had an idea while I was going through some of my parts machines. I came across a 2011 13" MBP with a water damaged logic board that I've been meaning to part out. The lobo and ODD are both toast, but the unibody is in great shape. As I was parting it out, I decided to give something a try - turning it into an exposed shadowbox kind of thing. I ended up being surprised at how it turned out!

IMG_0795.jpeg

IMG_0797-1.jpeg

The logic board, fan, and ODD are all mounted in how they would be, although the heatsink and top of the ODD have both been removed. Don't worry, that HDD was dead before I popped it open :p

Overall I'm incredibly pleased with how this came together! Has anyone else here made neat things out of old, dead Macs?

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Nice looking. Surprised how well the HDD fits in the trackpad opening. Years ago I had a 1” HDD that died so I turned it into a refrigerator magnet.

Reactions: LizKat

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I'm not usually one to make artsy projects, but I had an idea while I was going through some of my parts machines. I came across a 2011 13" MBP with a water damaged logic board that I've been meaning to part out. The lobo and ODD are both toast, but the unibody is in great shape. As I was parting it out, I decided to give something a try - turning it into an exposed shadowbox kind of thing. I ended up being surprised at how it turned out!

View attachment 935603

View attachment 935604

The logic board, fan, and ODD are all mounted in how they would be, although the heatsink and top of the ODD have both been removed. Don't worry, that HDD was dead before I popped it open :p

Overall I'm incredibly pleased with how this came together! Has anyone else here made neat things out of old, dead Macs?
Brilliant! A very eye-catching piece of modern art.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.