Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Last night we upgraded my flatmates Blackbook Core Duo to Leopard from 10.4.11. Did an upgrade install (he wanted to keep everything the same). Everything went well. Updated to 10.5.2 via combo.

This evening get a rather confused phone call about the computer not working. Went home to find that, upon startup all that would happen is that the computer would click three times (uh oh) take an age to boot, then end up on a flashing folder with a question mark on it.

I tried booting from my external USB (which had an old Superduper Tiger backup) and it worked ok. No sign of internal hard disk. Booted from installation DVD, and no hard disk to install onto. Also it didn't appear in Disk Utility. Darn.

I have just ordered a new 2.5" SATA hard disk. I hope with my limited diagnostic skills I have correctly identified a dead hard disk. Is there anything else I can do to get it to mount or is it DOA? Now I know this may seem obvious, but I feel bad as it was me that suggested he go for Leopard. Thankfully all photos and music was backed up. Skype contacts and a few were bits were not. Was this bad luck? Or was the HD on the way out anyway?

Thanks for your time.

EDIT: Sorry another thread with a very similar topic already on the board. Mods feel free to lock. I just wanted to rant.

Karstan

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
Everywhere
Exact same thing happened to me. Thank goodness for applecare. They sent for it and had it back to me in 4 days! :D The dx was bad drive, but at least it is covered! Worth the $$ for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.