Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hpeezy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2004
vancouver, bc
i recently purchased a Dell 2005FPW brand new off of someone here at macrumours; after taking forever to get shipped to me here in Vancouver, BC (crossing the border from US, backlog in customs, etc.) it finally arrived yesterday morning. upon setting it up, my excitement was quickly tainted as i noticed that it had a dead pixel in the center of the lower right-hand quadrant.. (ie. not so close to the edge to be easily "ignored')

i spent several frustrating hours with Dell customer support in Canada and US, trying to figure out what my options were and how to go about getting a replacement. it seems Dell Canada won't support me because the monitor was purchased from Dell US, and Dell US won't support me because I'm in Canada. furthermore, they apparently have a 21-day policy of returning/exchanging "unsatisfactory" items and because it took so long to get to me, it's now exceeded those 21 days.

so i need some advice.... i see three options available to me:

1) keep the monitor, and try to live with the dead pixel (actually i think it's more like a small cluster of 4 or 5. i tried to take a picture of it to post here, but i can't get one that's in focus.)

2) return it to the guy i bought it from and get my money back, by reason of not getting what i paid for.

3) keep on bugging dell for a replacement... i understand that dell has their policies but i can't help but find their "bureaucracy" annoying. because the fact is, i have a brand new monitor that came with something wrong with it. shouldn't i be able to receive a replacement no matter what?

please help!!!

thanks.

hpeezy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2004
vancouver, bc
hehe.. ya i was reading that thread last night, so i tried it and it seemed to get rid of some other less noticeable ones on the screen. but this one/these other ones are definitely "dead" and not "stuck" :(

edesignuk said:
Have you tried gently rubbing the dead/stuck pixel? Works wonders you know ;)

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
i believe the 21-day no-questions return guarantee applies to when you actually get the item--the postage slip (if you still have it) proves that you signed for the item on a certain day and that you did not have it before that day, so you can probably still have it sent back.

hpeezy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2004
vancouver, bc
ya, but unfortunately because i bought it off someone and i'm not the original owner, it would probably apply to when he received it.. which was more than 21 days ago..

wide said:
i believe the 21-day no-questions return guarantee applies to when you actually get the item--the postage slip (if you still have it) proves that you signed for the item on a certain day and that you did not have it before that day, so you can probably still have it sent back.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
I think your options are limited because you bought from someone, not Dell. With that said, the unit is still warranty, correct? Dell should (IMO) replace the unit. Unfortunately for you that means a refurb. :(

My 2005FPW had about 3 bad pixels and I got Dell to swap out the monitor TWICE, at no charge, next day (the accidentally sent me a refurb the first time). The replacement (new) monitor was in perfect condition.

They gave me no troubles at all for replacing the monitor and took my word for it on the number of pixels. There are many reports on a very liberal pixel replacement policy.

So…I'd stay on them.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
usually dell products that are sold new from dell have a one year warranty (refurbs only have 90 days). it's probably a new model, so it shouldn't matter if you cannot find warranty information. if you don't have any info, there is a way to transfer the warranty from the seller to the buyer. also, i think you can find out your warranty status by typing in the serial code on the back of your monitor at the dell website (support.dell.com)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.