Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamblogger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2022
Türkiye
Hi,
I just bought $1999 model and found two clusters of dead pixels
One of them - right in the center of the screen
The reseller doesn't want to return or exchange (although the purchase was made 2 days ago), because the product have already been unpacked. The only way they suggest is that I have to conduct an independent examination. But all the service centers that I have visited here do not provide expertise services.

Is such a picture acceptable for this kind of IPS matrix and I have to accept and work on such a display, or is there a way to count the number of dead pixels in order to prove that the goods are not of proper quality and return the money?

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 23.05.30.png

20221110_224941.jpg

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
The reseller is just coming up with excuses to try and prevent you from returning the display. You are not obligated to get it 'independantly' checked or refusal of return because it has been 'unpacked'. The displays user manual should have a disclaimer as to what is and isn't acceptable with dead pixels, therefore check the user manual.

Reactions: iamblogger

iamblogger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2022
Türkiye
If this number is really 0, then it looks like Apple does not control this parameter before packing in a box with a seal.

Otherwise, having turned on my monitor at the factory, they would have seen a black spot in the middle of the screen. Calculating the logistics costs and the way that my monitor came from China to be on the store shelf, this would be a very inefficient waste of money from Apple's point of view.

On the other hand, considering a $2,000 monitor to be of high quality with such a spot in the middle of the screen is very strange for Apple's reputation and it is not clear how such products get to the end user at all, given the sellers' policy of not accepting unpacked goods back.

I am very upset (

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
it looks like Apple does not control this parameter before packing in a box with a seal.
Of course they don't. There isn't one person meticulously checking literally every product that comes off the production line for imperfections, and even if there was, these problems may have happened post-assembly, post-shipment.

This is why you have consumer rights. I don't know how strong your consumer rights are in Turkey but in my country (UK) I'd be sending it back. Apple in any case provides a no-quibble return policy providing the items are not damaged (by you) and are returned in their full original packaging.

iamblogger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2022
Türkiye
Unfortunately, my two-day communication with Apple support has not yet led to anything.
If the product was purchased from a reseller, I must convince him of a refund by myself.

Last edited:

iamblogger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2022
Türkiye
0 dead pixels is the answer
I tried to calculate this way

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 14.10.50.png

20 million pixels for the entire display
If their production complies with the 6 sigma level, then defects per million opportunities is 3.4, which is 20 x 3.4 = 68 defective pixels
There is also a 7 sigma level and there is a number 0.019 defects per million opportunities
20 x 0.019 = 0.38 ≈ 1 defective pixel

Perhaps the number should be in the range from 1 to 68 pixels )

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2019
You should be allowed to return it, I'd accept 0. I'm not from the US but I find: In addition to retailers being required to accept the return of defective items, federal law provides a "Cooling-Off Rule " giving buyers three days to cancel purchases of $25 or more.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
You should be allowed to return it, I'd accept 0. I'm not from the US but I find: In addition to retailers being required to accept the return of defective items, federal law provides a "Cooling-Off Rule " giving buyers three days to cancel purchases of $25 or more.
OP is from Turkey, so none of us really are 100% sure of his country's consumer rights, but we're 100% sure his seller is giving him the brush-off on a faulty product.

Apple's own return window specifies 14 days in the US/CA/UK/EU, which surely must also be the same in Turkey, unless he bought it from some shady 'fell off the back of a lorry' unauthorised seller. If he bought it legitimately, it surely doesn't matter how arsey the seller gets, the manufacturer of this product gives him the consumer rights to return it within 14 days.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Unfortunately, my two-day communication with Apple support has not yet led to anything.
If the product was purchased from a reseller, I must convince him of a refund by myself.
Are you able to explain what the word 'reseller' means to you, considering you purchased it for the price it costs to buy new? Is the product new or used? If it is new, and purchased from a legitimate authorised retailer, Apple will support your consumer rights. If you've bought it from some sketchy backstreet trader who sells 'products that went missing from the van', I think you're entirely on your own, legally speaking.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
i've bought a mbp 16 from apple 2 weeks ago .

it had dust on the middle of the screen . i thought i could live with it . two weeks later , and i was only seeing that dust cluster /dead pixel .

my whole macbook had become a giant dead pixel , and i couldnt unseee it .

i'd force them to refund you

EDIT: if you use dark mode it's fine though . will get annoying when watching movies or editing photos .

i watched HP and it became Harry Potter and the prisoner of the dead pixel

Last edited:

iamblogger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2022
Türkiye
Question:
WHO did you buy from?
Local retailer with 144 stores in 54 cities

Is the product new or used?
Yes, It's new. The box was sealed with an Apple branded seal

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 21.59.32.png

EDIT: if you use dark mode it's fine though . will get annoying when watching movies or editing photos .
I found a temporary solution - I open two windows on half of the screen and this allows me not to see a black spot in the middle of the screen - it falls on the border between the windows and is less noticeable

Most of the time I write code with a dark theme in the IDE

iamblogger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2022
Türkiye
Update
Last Saturday I managed to convince the seller about exchanging the product for a new one.
Today a new display was delivered to the store and we turned it on and checked it right in the store. Everything is fine, and there is no dead pixels. I am extremely happy ) 🤩

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Update
Last Saturday I managed to convince the seller about exchanging the product for a new one.
Today a new display was delivered to the store and we turned it on and checked it right in the store. Everything is fine, and there is no dead pixels. I am extremely happy ) 🤩
I'm glad you got it worked out. This is a very important distinction when you're buying from Apple or buying from some retail store that's selling Apple products. You may get it cheaper at Walmart or some retail store but you need to be aware of their return policy. It might be outstanding or maybe not as generous as Apple's return policy. I'm not specifically talking about this situation but at many people see these deals from Amazon or some store but don't know the return policy. Sometimes it's more expensive an Apple for a reason because they do stand behind the products they sell. I'm so glad you got it worked out because I know if I spent that much money and there was a dead pixel right in the middle of my screen I would be extremely unhappy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.