Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jstill71

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Contrary to what was stated at launch, you don't get FREE upgrades to compatible 3d movies UNLESS you actually purchased the movie in iTunes. If you redeemed a code on MoviesAnywhere or VUDU, etc, the movie will not play or download in 3D even though it gives the option. This is disappointing and a deal breaker for me.

someone33

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
I agree, and then you're stuck with the version that won't play in 3D even if you wanted to buy it again. Apple should do the right thing and upgrade any digital copy of a movie to 3D if available or they're going to get a lot of returns.

Reactions: 4sallypat

dwhite601

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2021
I just set up an account with Movies Anywhere since they are the provider Disney chose for my Bluray movie. I redeemed the code for Avatar Way of Water 3D version, but all I could see in their app was the 2D version of the movie.

I guess we'll have to wait for the service to be fully ported to the Vision Pro.

David

Jstill71

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
What about Apple TV+ & Disney+ - do those titles get free 3D version ?
Disney + titles do play in 3D. The difference being, that's a streaming service and they are all part of it. The ones on Apple are either one time rentals or purchases. Those of us that purchased or redeemed codes years ago were expecting to have access to those movies in 3d based on what Apple has been stating.

• Wow

dwhite601

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2021
I sent a request to the Movies Anywhere's robotic chat window for 3D playback. It replied with "3D streaming is not supported." I don't know if that was an obsolete automatic response, but I hope the request will find its way to their development team.

One video player developer mentioned that they just got their headset along with the rest of us, so, I suspect it will take a few weeks to get all these rough edges sorted out.

David

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Disney + titles do play in 3D. The difference being, that's a streaming service and they are all part of it. The ones on Apple are either one time rentals or purchases. Those of us that purchased or redeemed codes years ago were expecting to have access to those movies in 3d based on what Apple has been stating.
Wait, you stated that you got these through 3rd parties, not Apple.

Can you clarify?

I don’t know why people are under the impression that you get free 3D movies from non-Apple sources. Can you point to where Apple has been touting that (I didn’t pay attention to those details).

someone33

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
Wait, you stated that you got these through 3rd parties, not Apple.

Can you clarify?

I don’t know why people are under the impression that you get free 3D movies from non-Apple sources. Can you point to where Apple has been touting that (I didn’t pay attention to those details).
We were under that impression because it literally states that these titles are 3D on Apple TV and it gives you the option to select to play it in 2D or 3D when you launch the title. However they will not play in 3D when you select to play it in 3D. Apple really dropped the ball with all of this and it’s up to them make it right.

• Wow

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
We were under that impression because it literally states that these titles are 3D on Apple TV and it gives you the option to select to play it in 2D or 3D when you launch the title. However they will not play in 3D when you select to play it in 3D. Apple really dropped the ball with all of this and it’s up to them make it right.

assumptions sometimes bite, but I do hope this gets straightened out. It’s been years since i redeemed a coupon like this, but back then you could buy disks as blue ray, blue ray HD 4K, and blue ray 3D. Maybe the coupon could distingish and give you the copy you bought. Don’t know, but i always bought 3D (yeah i know) and they work fine for me now.

Jstill71

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
assumptions sometimes bite, but I do hope this gets straightened out. It’s been years since i redeemed a coupon like this, but back then you could buy disks as blue ray, blue ray HD 4K, and blue ray 3D. Maybe the coupon could distingish and give you the copy you bought. Don’t know, but i always bought 3D (yeah i know) and they work fine for me now.
Not an assumption when Apple stated if we owned the movie, we'd be given the 3d version of it.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
The big question is, "where did the movie originate?" If someone bought a movie from, say, Movies Anywhere, did Movies Anywhere provide the movie and make it available via Apple TV, or did Movies Anywhere arrange for Apple's version to be made available? If it's the former, people may be out-of-luck. If it's the latter, I imagine lawyers are now swarming around this to make it a class-action lawsuit (but it'll likely be years before anyone sees any results).

However, I'm not a lawyer, so take all this with a boulder of salt.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
If you redeemed a code on MoviesAnywhere or VUDU, etc, the movie will not play or download in 3D even though it gives the option.

Partially true. 5% of my Movies Anywhere movies play in 3D in Apple TV. Not sure how many of the other 95% have 3D versions.

Edited: turns out those 5% were iTunes digital redeems, not Movies Anywhere

Last edited:

frogywill

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Partially true. 5% of my Movies Anywhere movies play in 3D in Apple TV. Not sure how many of the other 95% have 3D versions.
Are you sure they are playing in 3D? I know the first few days everything appears 3D in there and I wasn’t 100% sure. But my Movie Anywhere redeemed movies are offered to play in 3D when started, but they do NOT play in 3D, like @Jstill7 mentioned. I’d be fine having to upgrade a few movies but the problem is that it’s not an option as Apple assumes I own the movie and you can’t buy it again.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Over on Reddit someone mentioned they spoke to Apple about this and it is just a glitch that will be fixed. Take that for what it's worth, but I sort of believe it because there is no way to "upgrade" or repurchase the movie if you already own it. That makes me think it's true. That coupled with the fact my other movies anywhere codes I have redeemed upgrade through Apple when they upgrade them to 4K, etc.

geauxmac

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2011
I’ve got a ton of movies that I bought the hard copy for and redeemed the digital code that don’t have the 3D option. Recently bought Avatar 2 and don’t have a 3D option. Really hope they fix this, as I find the cinema mode on AppleTV to be a bit better than Disney+

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
I’ve got a ton of movies that I bought the hard copy for and redeemed the digital code that don’t have the 3D option. Recently bought Avatar 2 and don’t have a 3D option. Really hope they fix this, as I find the cinema mode on AppleTV to be a bit better than Disney+
Yes, like 70mm films displaying in their original aspect ratios on AppleTV in Cinema Mode.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
I'm curious about this, too. I still buy movies on disc so a LOT of my iTunes library came from Movie Anywhere codes so I ran into this during my 2 weeks with the Vision Pro and it was one of the reasons I returned it. Hopefully this is something that will be fixed. It makes no sense to have this arbitrary restriction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.