Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
For those who didn't follow the Alex Murdaugh case it took the authorities over a year to hack his son's iPhone to get a picture that was big in getting him convicted and they had some of the brightest people out there working on it.

Sorry OP there's gonna be no way to get into that phone.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
For those who didn't follow the Alex Murdaugh case it took the authorities over a year to hack his son's iPhone to get a picture that was big in getting him convicted and they had some of the brightest people out there working on it.

Sorry OP there's gonna be no way to get into that phone.

I believe and entity like the FBI can break into a phone in minutes.

MacADameYeahNut

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2023
It may be for the best if you can't access your daughter's journals and other files because they likely contain thoughts and information that she intended to be private. Imagine if she were here today and you were to ask her if she'd mind if you accessed all her files -- my guess is that any young adult would be mortified to know that a parent, no matter how beloved, would be reading their private thoughts and seeing their private pictures. While I do understand your desire to gain as much insight as possible into what happened, realize that nothing you would read or see will change the very tragic outcome. I am truly sorry for your loss -- and your partner's -- but please consider it a blessing that Apple's security will help you honor what likely would have been this young person's wishes.

Reactions: neuralengine

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
This basically tells you it's a near on impossible task. Option 5 might be a strong possibility if the family have access to the their daughters computer or the computer their daughter sync'd the iphone too.

The reason I know it's near on impossible is because when my younger sister was killed in a traffic pile up an number of years ago, she had a passcode on her iphone of which no one knew. Apple would not help, no one could help unless we new what my sisters passcode was. I believe my now deceased father has the iphone up in the loft somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.