Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

niter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
My research advisor was an avid mac user until this past summer. A student who graduated convinced her to swap her powerbook 15" for a Dell. This was done because she was still on 9.2 and there were serious compatability issues between her and the rest of us in the group.

Ironically, several of us have switched over to Mac. Despite the underlying feeling that we all have that she misses the Mac, she is sticking with the Dell. I understand her point that she was fussed to switch, finally did, and now the group starts going Apple.

She is using AOL and every file I send her comes in some MIME format and she cannot open it. I am giving my PC desktop to my father, and I cannot be in a situation where I cannot send her a file. How can I fix this or circumvent this problem?

Thanks.

McToast

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2003
you are not alone. I have the same problem sending email attachments to AOL users on PC's. AOL is fricked up.

I want to know the answer to your question too. She needs to go back to her PowerBook!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Originally posted by McToast
you are not alone. I have the same problem sending email attachments to AOL users on PC's. AOL is fricked up.

I want to know the answer to your question too. She needs to go back to her PowerBook!
Zip the files before sending them to her. Then, AOL need only unzip them. It should be able to handle that.

niter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
Thanks. I am sort of new to Apple, and I do not know how to zip files. When she gets the zipped files, will she be able to open them readily? She is not perfectly computer savy.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Originally posted by niter
Thanks. I am sort of new to Apple, and I do not know how to zip files. When she gets the zipped files, will she be able to open them readily? She is not perfectly computer savy.
If she has ever dealt with other zipped files with AOL, then she should be fine.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by niter
In the finder, right-click on the file before attaching and choose "Archive File" or something like that. Also, in the Mail program chose the "Send Windows Friendly Attachments" option in the "Edit" menu. That might help, though I know AOL has really crap Email support (try sending anything in another language than English!!)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.