Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ch02ce

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
Can you please use some of that horde of cash to find some time to write 64-bit drivers for the x3100 integrated graphics so I can buy ML when it comes out?

If there is one thing that has bugged me about my macbook purchase, it is the complete and utter lack of effort put into the graphics of these machines, it is like Apple or Intel decided that getting some video on the screen was good enough and called it a day for this model. Not sure who to blame here as Intel is notorious for being understaffed in the drivers department.

The GMA950 on my old MB has always performed noticeably better than this supposedly much more advanced (in its day) chip. This makes me hesitant to buy any new MB with integrated Intel graphics.

I am not totally upset as it is a lowly macbook, but I feel bad for the first-gen Air owners with the same chipset who paid a heck of a lot more for their computers and now find it obsolete as well.

/Rant done. Please grant my wish.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Not being able to run ML makes it obsolete? Seriously?!

Not a lot can be done to improve the graphic output of that GPU. It's a terrible GPU, plain and simple. Besides, it's not GPU power that's limiting you from running ML, it's the ability to run a 64-bit kernel. If Apple would update the firmware on your MacBook it should be possible to run a 64-bit kernel.

So your complaint is correct, but you've targeted the wrong component.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You could always send your request direct to Apple with their feedback form.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

ch02ce

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
Besides, it's not GPU power that's limiting you from running ML, it's the ability to run a 64-bit kernel. If Apple would update the firmware on your MacBook it should be possible to run a 64-bit kernel.

So your complaint is correct, but you've targeted the wrong component.

Incorrect. My MB, 4,1, has a 64 bit EFI and the only thing holding it back from running ML is the lack of 64-bit drivers for the x3100, so I am indeed targeting the right component.

And this post was made in jest, I am fully aware it will not be 'obsolete' in the sense that it won't work soon. But I have no intention of pursuing it with Apple, it is just pushing me towards the 13" air that I know I want in my heart.

ciacorp

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
I totally agree to ch02ce. It's like an "artificial foreclosure" as the MacBook4,1 is technically 100% compatible to Mountan Lion due to it's 64-bit EFI.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple is a hardware company in which it uses software to drive the hardware sales. Its in their best interest to raise the bar on what can or cannot run ML.

There may be other extenuating circumstances as to why you cannot run ML, but the gist is they want to sell new computers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.