Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbizzybeetle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
Dear Tim- is the 1.01 SW fiasco why Jon is "leaving?"
Apple engineers INTENTIONALLY broke your third tent pole of the Apple Watch:fitness tracking/heart rate monitor NO LONGER FUNCTIONS WHEN MOVING.

Given the rewriting/revision of Apple online sales promises on how heart rate and health monitoring will occur (that is, TO STOP MONITORING WHILE A WEARER MOVES?) you have apparently decided to fail to provide services originally promised. Unless Apple decides to stop taking cues from political friends ****--ignore, deny, change the data, change "history", change the goal, declare victory in achieving that goal-- I am returning the watch and letting every outlet on the planet hear my fury.

Folks, FIX YOUR IGNORANCE. For details on how Apple has changed their documentation online, see thread "heart rate changes after 1.01". Meanwhile my watch is off my wrist and back in its box.

Last edited:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I am returning the watch and letting every outlet on the planet hear my fury.

Man, that's a lot of outlets.

30434d1398262547-converting-light-receptacle-outlet-electrical-outlet-plug-outlet.jpg

P.S. "Tim" hasn't hung around MacRumors since he got promoted from Apple's mail room in the late '80s.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
This is actually a real problem. Apple broke an important feature to people interested in fitness tracking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
It's a software bug. Unfortunately, coding errors are easy to make, and hard to find and fix. Type a 9 instead of 0, for instance, and everything goes wonky. And you have to read through the code to find such errors. No spell checker or debugging program will find it automatically.

Fortunately, it's just a software bug, so it'll get fixed eventually. You return your watch now, you won't have it around to enjoy it when the fix is released.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It's a software bug. Unfortunately, coding errors are easy to make, and hard to find and fix. Type a 9 instead of 0, for instance, and everything goes wonky. And you have to read through the code to find such errors. No spell checker or debugging program will find it automatically.

Fortunately, it's just a software bug, so it'll get fixed eventually. You return your watch now, you won't have it around to enjoy it when the fix is released.

What happens if the watch does not have enough battery power to get it thru the day with the HR sensor running continuously? This could be the problem and Apple knows it. I know we heard rumors before the watch was introduced about the battery not making it through the day. Maybe this is how Apple resolved it.

Reactions: Fwingonga

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
What happens if the watch does not have enough battery power to get it thru the day with the HR sensor running continuously? This could be the problem and Apple knows it. I know we heard rumors before the watch was introduced about the battery not making it through the day. Maybe this is how Apple resolved it.
It was not continuous before. It was every 10 minutes. And, Apple's newly revised explanation says the watch still attempts a reading every 10 minutes, but it will skip the reading of your arm is in motion.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011

That's not exactly true. Good software comes with good unit tests and I'm sure the Apple engineers write solid and code with good test coverage. I'm not saying that they don't make mistakes that aren't hard to fix; I just mean it's not as crude as typing one wrong character and then needing to read every line of code to figure out what's wrong.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Dear Tim- is the 1.01 SW fiasco why Jon is "leaving?"

Given the rewriting/revision of Apple online sales promises on how heart rate and health monitoring will occur (that is, TO STOP MONITORING WHILE A WEARER MOVES?) you have apparently decided to fail to provide services originally promised. Unless Apple decides to stop taking cues from friends ****--ignore, deny, change the data, change "history", change the goal, declare victory in achieving that goal-- I am returning the watch and letting every outlet on the planet hear my fury.

Folks, For details on how Apple has changed their documentation online, see thread "heart rate changes after 1.01". Meanwhile my watch us off my wrist and back in its box.

Instead of complaing, returning, and in your words lettings every outlet on the plant hear your fury do what everyone else does.
STEP:
1) Be slightly upset for 30 seconds.
2) Say your affected by the bug and that your a tad disappointed in this thread
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1884222/
3) Wait for the software update

Last edited by a moderator:

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
Sorry for asking a dumb question, but what is the benefit of taking a heart rate reading every 10 minute when not exercising?

I do a lot of exercise, and when running or cycling I am very interested in my heart rate (I use Garmin devices for these activities because despite claims the Apple watch is a proper fitness device lets face it it isn't really that good). When I am sat on a couch, driving, sleeping or whenever, I really don't care what my heart rate is. It may improve in counting calories, but since I never wear my Apple watch for exercise for me it doesn't really matter.

Reactions: Fwingonga

PirateP

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Naboo Land
I can't stop laughing.

Also, I love outrage directed at Apple — as if they are poring over the rantings of some of the crazed people here.

Man, that's a lot of outlets.

P.S. "Tim" hasn't hung around MacRumors since he got promoted from Apple's mail room in the late '80s.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
Sorry for asking a dumb question, but what is the benefit of taking a heart rate reading every 10 minute when not exercising?
Folks with fitness trackers want to see regular HR measurements throughout the day. With this new change, it has skipped many hours for some people.

I use a Garmin for exercise too-- it is different from above. Also, when you tell the watch you are doing an activity, it will switch into more of a continuous reading mode.

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Folks with fitness trackers want to see regular HR measurements throughout the day. With this new change, it has skipped many hours for some people.

I use a Garmin for exercise too-- it is different from above. Also, when you tell the watch you are doing an activity, it will switch into more of a continuous reading mode.

An accurate resting heart rate is very important to knowing if your achieving your fitness goals and also to help in diagnosing health conditions. Apple is choosing quality over quantity in this case.
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/MyHeartandStrokeNews/All-About-Heart-Rate-Pulse_UCM_438850_Article.jsp#mainContent

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
An accurate resting heart rate is very important to knowing if your achieving your fitness goals and also to help in diagnosing health conditions. Apple is choosing quality over quantity in this case.
Yes, accurate resting HR is important. But I think fitness tracker users want regular HR measurements throughout the day for all their activities, not just resting HR.

BDwy27

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
HA If you're going to complain about one feature of the apple watch, which can be easily fixed next update then go get a FITBIT guy.

jdogg836

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Oklahoma
Oh Noes! :rolleyes:

1st gen product in an entirely new product category for Apple. Internal testing never uncovers everything, once it's unleashed into the wild where other variables like 3rd party app combinations you find issues that need to be corrected. 1st software update fixes a bunch of things, borks 1. That's not a bad track record, give it time and it will be better.

And now, the world's smallest violin.

Attachments

• violin.jpg
    violin.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 951

Bladeridermg

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2015
I just can't believe the amount of moaning that goes on about such an amazing product. A few years ago this would have been science fiction now because of small software glitches or the fact that it is not completely indestructible people can't wait to bemoan an amazing piece of technology.
I for one am more than willing to accept a few small problems, which I'm sure will be fixed in the coming months to have such an amazing piece of tech on my wrist.
Rant over.

Ambush083

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
Hawaii
There's a lot of BS reporting with the Apple Watch. It thinks I've been standing up way longer than I have, even tricking myself. I don't think this was the case previously.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
If it were me, I would just return it. There are many other devices that do fitness tracking better now. Maybe Apple will have a change of heart if people speak out with returns.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condi...Rate-Pulse_UCM_438850_Article.jsp#mainContent

Yes, an accurate resting heart rate is important. You know how you get an accurate resting heart rate reading? Every morning you take one reading, just after you wake up and before you get out of bed, and you chart those.

You know how you get a crap reading? Take your heart rate all day long, at irregular intervals in between which you may have moved significantly, and calling that a resting heart rate.

Apple didn't choose quality. They just messed up.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK

You need to read Apple's updated documentation. It's not a bug. It's the new heart monitoring FEATURE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.