Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coops

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
I already have a nicely customisable "Launchpad" - it's dragthing.... (http://www.dragthing.com).

Put it where i want it, tabs, folders on layers/tabs whatever I want.

If the Mac launchpad means there'll be an option check box to permanently turn off the dock, i'm all for it. ;)

mcmlxix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2009
I love Finder. Well, no I don't love it. It needs work. But it is essential to my work flows.

I do not use iPhoto...ever, so having that application manage my images would be ridiculous.

My work flows are much more project based. Word, text, photo, html, etc files are all in separate Finder folders related to that project. Photos are also aliased back to a master photos folder.

I also like color coding files. It makes browsing the file based on theme very efficient.

Also think about media files. If they were managed by iTunes without recourse to Finder, I'd be up **** creek.

This probably isn't the right thread to list all of the changes needed to make Finder (and Quick Look) better. But as it is, I use Total Finder, which is better, but not (yet) best.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Nobody loves finder we finally see a sign it might get the overhaul it needs and suddenly the sky is falling.

I can't see the the function served by finder going away but it wouldn't be hard to improve on it.

domness

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I think the LaunchPad looks pretty pointless and I'd rarely ever use it. I'm just used to navigating around on Finder or using Spotlight to quickly open files. In fact, I'd rather use Terminal.app to navigate and view files than ever touch LaunchPad. Yeh it looks nice, but pointless.

Then again, I don't think Apple will ever remove Finder, I need its side bar and menu bar etc. And Apple definitely won't simplify the Mac THAT much. It's perfect for using GHC, Haskell, Java, etc etc.

And people talking about Terminal, I use it ALL the time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.